SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
seil_gw

Chinas and Teas winter in Zone 6!

seil zone 6b MI
10 years ago

We got 45 of the pots out of their winter storage today, that's roughly two thirds of them, before we collapsed, lol. Some of them look great, even have some leaves on them, others look like they're completely dead. However, the three I was most concerned about were my great zone pushing experiment with chinas and teas. Mutabilis looks great, almost completely green to the tips. The Archduke Charles has some good green down at the base but lost most of the longer cane on top. The Duchesse de Brabant has one large green cane and a couple of smaller ones but lost a few as well. I'm thrilled they made it through this frigid polar winter at all! We'll probably finish taking out the rest tomorrow. I'm a little surprised because quite a few of the minis have no green cane that I can see. They're all own root, of course, and should come back, but they were buried in the leaves more so than the larger roses. I would have thought that would have protected them better. Apparently not!

I haven't pruned anything yet so I'll know more when I can get to that and I'll get pictures of the three tender ones too.

Comments (15)