SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cranheim

stihl br420c problem

cranheim
18 years ago

I have been using my 420C several hours (4 gal of fuel mix) this spring cleaning up lawns. It ran great. Yesterday, while using it again, it started to vary in speed. It felt like it was running out of fuel, but the tank was half full. The fuel was less than 30 days old. I replaced the spark plug even though it was not fouled. No change. I replaced the exhaust spark arrester because it seemed to be a little clogged. No change. I tried loosening the fuel cap in case it needed air venting. No change. I drained the fuel out of the tank to look for dirt or water, and checked the new fuel filter I installed at the start of the season. I did not find anything wrong. Then, for no good reason, I put some new fuel in the tank I just purchased a few days ago. It worked fine! I don't know if the problem just went away by itself, or if the fuel really was the problem. This same batch of fuel mix is running fine in my ECHO SRM-2601 trimmer. I am not going to use any more of the suspected fuel in anything. Any ideas where to look next if the bug comes back? As I said before, the engine ran as though it was running out of fuel. I use 93 Octane gas with a 50:1 mix of ECHO premium oil, along with some Stabil, the same mix as I have used for years. Charles Ranheim

Comments (5)