SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fcarp63

Best rear tire set-up under different conditions?

fcarp63
11 years ago

Hi Everyone:

I have a 1999 Deere GT225 with the original turf tires on all 4 wheels. I just ordered a Johnny Bucket to use to move gravel, topsoil, etc around the yard which does have some slight - moderate slopes. I also have a gravel drive with a moderate slope in the middle, the rest is flat.

I am planning on adding rear suitcase weights for balance and I am trying to figure out what I should do to aid traction with the rear tires.

My first thought was to use chains on the rear turf tires because they are they cheapest, but not sure if they would tear-up the lawn which is in good condition.

My second thought was to swap the rear tires for HDAP-type ATV tires (Carlisle All Trail), which I'm thinking might help with traction when mowing (I do sometimes get wheel spin is a few spots) and might also be useful if I ever decide to plow light snow down the road (see below) or if I use the Johnny Bucket to move some snow in the winter.

My third thought was a spare set of used wheels with "Chevron" type bar treads but I hear those will tear-up the lawn and wouldn't be practical for normal mowing (?).

I don't plan on plowing snow, but I might add the Johnny Plow to plow light fluffy snow versus using my 2 stage blower and shooting rocks all over the place.

So I am looking for some feedback from those with more experience than I have with using their equipment under similar conditions and to find out what they would recommend based upon what I am going to do.

One last question, can chains be used with HDAP tires?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Fcarp63

Comments (23)

Sponsored
More Discussions