SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

Varying performance in different conditions, plus need ideas

I have 3 gardens that have hosta. I have a large garden with hosta most of which have been planted at least 4 years. This one has dry shade, under ash trees. It gets a bit of morning sun, then dappled sun after: the shade is not dense. The hosta live but donÂt exactly thrive, even though I use a soaker periodically. They have hardly expanded in size at all. I have decided not to buy any more hosta for this bed since it is obviously not the environment they like. This is the first year some of them have bloomed. Do I assume that when they bloom they are finally happy?

I am looking for other things that can tolerate dry shade and roots, and compliment the hosta that are there. It is a raised terraced bed with amended soil so soil is not too hard or clay-y. I have species tulips there and daffodils that do really well for spring but nothing interesting for summer than can thrive in shade. I have astilbe there too which are slowly expanding; but I really wanted something with larger not-plain-green leaves: itÂs all the way across the yard and the lacy astilbe canÂt be seen except close up. I will have a lot of lily offsets this fall but I am afraid it will be too much shade for them.

I made a new small bed in another place 2 years ago and got a lot of sale hosta in the fall to plug in there. That one has a juniper tree that provides shade from 1 pm on, and house shade after 2 pm. It gets morning sun. To my surprise the hosta there took off and grew like crazy. All of those are blooming. Since my only previous experience with hosta was the dry shade garden, I was amazed. 2 of the varieties there are the same as in the dry shade garden (Gold Standard and June), and though planted as quarts are now more than twice the size of the older ones. This is a well drained garden that does not get much watering but has only the juniper for root competition.

Is it the water that is at issue, the shade, or the tree roots?

Comments (13)