SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sdaigneault

Would you work w/ this builder under these conditions?

Steve Daigneault
6 years ago

We're looking for a new home and our ideal scenario is to find something that isn't quite built yet from a spec builder - so we can customize finishes and colors. The area we want to live in though doesn't really have any planned builder communities, but there is a builder that has been putting up homes that we like, in the perfect location, that has a lot that he hasn't started building on.

We went to see one of his homes that is basically done and going on the market - and the layout and size is mostly what we want. But he tweaked the design in such a way that the area where the kitchen table goes is really too small for a table - so you'd have to choose between having bar stools or a kitchen table. The change had to be made on this lot to get approval from county - but that plus a few other decisions he made in the house made me question his ability as a builder.

This builder has another lot that is cleared that we really like a lot. But he hasn't started building on it yet. He said that we could enter a contract with him, hire an architect to adjust the plans he has or even bring our own plans, and purchase the house for a price that I think would be difficult to beat if we went out and purchased our own tear-down lot, hired an architect and builder, and did our own custom house.

I'm wondering if more experienced individuals here would enter into an agreement w/ this builder, and if yes, under what circumstances? We're thinking we could hire a lawyer (what kind, a realty lawyer or something more specific?), and an architect, and we'd be good to move forward.

The pluses of going this route - he has the construction loan, and he has the lot we want, and we probably would save money and get in sooner. But the risk is - this is a newer builder that's establishing himself still, and I don't know what kind of references he has. If we're not holding the loan tho, and we have a contract that stipulates the right things, wouldn't we be OK? Would an architect want to take on making adjustments to a spec build? Would it be better if we went our own way with more established builders? After doing some calling, if everything works out perfectly, maybe we'd come out even w/the price we're being given from this builder - but most likely - including costs of construction loans, etc - it'd be more for us to do it on our own.

Thanks for any gut reactions - and tips on how to move forward... Steve

Comments (50)