SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
luckygal1

BIM, Bug juice, Biochar, compost, weeds...

15 years ago

I'd like to get some opinions from the people who have been following these topics on which order they would use them.

I am planning a new garden area on a piece of land that's maybe about 1/3 acre. It's an area we've cleared of mostly coniferous trees and is heavy interior plateau clay with only a very thin layer of soil, if any. Really difficult to dig in - last fall, with great effort, I managed to remove a few rocks that were showing but this stuff is almost like concrete. DH will attempt to rototill but not sure how that will work.

I'd like to use every available means of building this soil as organically as possible and can probably find a source for manure, spoiled hay, veggie trimmings, and fine wood shavings to work with. We've been stockpiling UCG so have plenty of those. Will have more fires with twigs/tree trimmings so plan to attempt making biochar. I am eager to start brewing some of the BIM liquids.

So if this were your situation what would you do first? The snow is going and should be gone in a few weeks and I am anxious to do something ASAP. I fully understand this soil will not be ready for a veggie garden this year. I'm being realistic here.

Comments (46)