SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
samirofamizmiz

Peace Corps project- pottery soil improvement

samirofamizmiz
14 years ago

Hello all,

IÂm a US Peace Corps Volunteer working in Small Business Development in Morocco. I work in a small town with a group of local artisans- potters, who create utilitarian cookware (tajines) and water vessels by traditional methods of pottery throwing and firing.

One of the main issues facing the potters is that of soil quality. The potters have a designated area of land on the mountainside from which they remove soil for sifting, processing into clay, and molding on their throwing wheels. Many of them, however, are in disfavor of this area of land, claiming the soil to be of poor quality, and opt to take soil from protected areas-- a practice that has negative environmental and political consequences.

IÂve been brainstorming for ways to revitalize the soil in their designated area of land, to implement systems that will increase soil quality while making use of local and readily available resources. I am not particularly well-versed in this field, though from the preliminary research IÂve done there seem to be a number of possibilities.:

-composting

-cover crops (clover, oats, rye, turnips, fungus)

-erosion barriers

-silt from the local irrigation canals (introduce nutrients)

-manure (lots of chickens & donkeys here-- microbial activity, increased fertility)

-introducing chickens to the area

-wildflowers

-charcoal and ash (to increase carbon)

-dividing land into sections to be used in cyclesÂone area will be cultivated with the above elements until it is ready and the soil can be harvested

I currently donÂt have specifics such as what qualities they are looking for in the soil, or what the current designated area lacks that they are able to find elsewhere. I donÂt know the exact area of land in terms of size, though it is large, an entire hillside at the foot of a small mountain, and is terraced with olive and almond trees. The soil is dry and very rocky. I also donÂt know how receptive the locals would be to this idea, but part of the plan would be to find and bring in someone willing to give a workshop and help to implement some beneficial techniques.

IÂm curious what suggestions anyone would have for the improvement of the soil in this area, thoughts, or any ideas whatsoever regarding such a project.

Thanks!

Comments (10)