SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
clavero_gw

'tween rafter support for twin wall ?

clavero
18 years ago

If I'm reading the Sundance materials correctly, I should be able to install the twin wall on the roof of the wood frame greenhouse I'm building with the rafters on (roughly) 24" centers, with the rafters 6' in length, with no problem.

Let me rephrase that. I plan to install 4' wide twin wall, in sections 6' long, on each side of the roof, runnning roughly 14' total length (Yeah, I know it doesn't add up, but 14' is close enough for the discussion).

I have them framed without any additional material running perpendicular to the rafters. Hence the twin wall will be supported on each of the 6'sides and at the ridge and eave in 2' lenghts.

Since I've yet to install the twin wall, would it be a good idea to install something like 2"x2", perpendicular to the rafters, half way along the length of the 6' rafters (flush with the rafter upper edge) to support the twin wall in (what would then become) smaller squares of 2'x3'?(There must be a building trade name for these pieces?)

I'd be especially interested in hearing from anyone who has had twin wall installed in a roof for more than a few years.

Does it tend to sag over time?

Thanks (as always)

Comments (33)