SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
squirrellypete

Anything insanely wrong with this idea I'm not seeing?

squirrellypete
16 years ago

I am trying to use my yard & garden space as efficiently as possible. I had plans to build a large raised bed exclusively for planting gladiolus for cut flowers in the spring/summer. The border would be made of a couple of courses of cinderblocks laid down so the two big holes face upward. I was gonna' fill those in with dirt to help lock them in place & also so I could plant a weeping groundcover in the holes to soften the edge. I also need a space to erect an unheated hoophouse once the weather turns cold to overwinter potted perennials & landscaping shrubs that I propagate and yesterday it dawned on me maybe I could use the glad bed since the foliage will be dead by then. Because of the cinderblock holes facing up I could easily insert the ends of the PVC hoops into them on each side of the bed & then cover with white plastic sheeting.

Does anyone see any problems with this plan? I live in zone 7b Alabama and our winters are usually not too bad with few extremely cold nights (with the exception of the April freeze this year).

Thanks for any advice. Sincerely, Squirrellypete

Comments (6)