SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caterwallin

Is there anything wrong with potting soil?

caterwallin
12 years ago

This container gardening is almost Greek to me. I feel like a fish out of water. I read and don't understand things and I'd have dozens of paragraphs of questions. It's too bad that there isn't a FAQ to this forum to make things easy to look up. I see mention of some kind of gritty mix and don't understand what that is, and I've seen "5-1-1", which I also don't know what it means. I'm really not sure if I should keep trees in containers if I have to keep increasing the container size indefinitely, unless I'm not understanding things right. Ugh, I don't know if there's any hope for me! I'm used to regular garden type plants planted in potting soil in pots, and they've always done okay that way. Can't I just put my hackberry trees (and I also have a crabapple tree) in potting soil in pots? I'm also confused about the root pruning. I get the idea that you're supposed to only have fine roots in the potting medium, but isn't there a root coming straight out from a tree a big one or big ones and then as you go out further they get fine? I don't know if there's any hope for me, and this is all so overwhelming. Al, I read through that thread of the link you gave me and I think I'm more confused than before I read it. Ha. Too much to remember, I guess. I suppose it's just me. Maybe I should stick to plants in the garden. Thanks for your help though.

Cathy

Comments (13)