SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
njdpo

Let there be light ... on my rear engine sears

njdpo
16 years ago

Hi all,

A while back i was able to rig a front head light from a Ford Taurus to my little sears rear engine lawn rider. ItÂs a VERY ugly modification - but man-O-man does that light brighten things up for me! I use this unit for pulling carts and trailers around the properties (not as a lawn mower), so I really need some light capabilities on this unit.

But as my brother reminds me - I canÂt use what I've created too readily as this mounted light requires MUCH more current than my little 10 HP Tech engine charging system can deal with.

Basically what will happen after about 5 - 10 minutes of the light running (with the engine running also), the battery will not have enough juice to start the motor up after it has been shut down (particularly on a cold winter morning).

The monster light drains the charged / charging battery - even when the engine is running. The engine only puts out about 1-1.5 amps - and the halogen ford light draws significantly more than that (I think about 10-12 amps).

In order to deal with this situation - I would have to leave the motor running for some undetermined amount of time after I turn the light off - but this is not a very practical solution for me - and I suspect that what IÂve done - is really not a very good idea for other reasons which I have not yet thought of (or discovered yet).

I am looking for a cheap alternative to my freak show lighting system. I recognize (and accept) that I will not get the same capabilities from my replacement cheap-o unit. Hopefully the light is better than my Scotts 2048 ? (The two lights on the Scotts are ... not very impressive, but then again I donÂt mow the lawn in the evening ...) I wish I could attach a picture of my Frankenstein light rig which IÂve created - perhaps giving you a laugh for the New Year...

Ideally I am looking for a small light which:

----------------------------------------------

- can throw a good/decent amount of light

- Mounts easily to the tractor  IÂm not afraid of drilling a few holes.

- Has low power requirements - so the battery will still charge while the light(s) is on. Or at least not require 12 Amps  like the ford halogen light does).

- It would be nice (but not required) if I could turn the light so that I could redirect the light to the front or back - or perhaps some swivel arrangement?

- is it too much to ask for one of those fancy blue lights which seem to blind me when driving down the road at night. They seem to be really bright! Are those LED or halogen? Im thinking that those blue units are rather power hungry also Â

IÂm sure some of you have been down this road...

- What have you done?

- What should I avoid?

- What should I consider?

As always thanks for your help.

Everyone - have a happy, safe, and prosperous new year.

Dave O.

Comments (20)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES