SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
subk3

Nerdy question about maintaining OGR

subk3
12 years ago

I'm very new to all this, but I was drawn to the subject of antique roses because I have this impression that if I can find the right roses for the right place that growing roses might not be the overwhelming hardship it is generally made out to be. I originally came to that place as I figured that found roses that survived years of neglect before being recused might indeed have something special.

amieekitty's post about "Foolproof Older Roses" has got me thinking beyond that. Especially her quote from and article: "Unfortunately some old hybrids are just too difficult to maintain for anyone but the most dedicated rose enthuses." (I think by hybrids they don't mean hybrid teas but they mean roses in general...)

It has suddenly occurred to me that when a gardener in Empress Josephine's garden came upon a rose with a problem he didn't jump in the carriage for a quick trip to the local garden center to pick up 21st century chemical treatments, he didn't have access to research on soils, pests and appropriate technology at his finger tips. What in the world did they do?

If it was tough for the Empress' gardener, what about the pioneer woman for whom these found OGR would have been pride of her front porch? She not only didn't have today's modern chemistry, she didn't even begin to have the height of 19th century technological or the financial resources of the Empress' gardener to care for her plant.

How exactly did roses survive, not just the extended neglect after the pioneer woman moved on, but the lack of modern gardening techniques/chemistry? There seems to me an odd disconnect between the fuss we make today to grow these roses and the limits they had in tending them 150 years ago.

Comments (10)