SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
collygirl_gw

I think the Black thumbs of death prevailed?!

CollyGirl
19 years ago

I am totally new to this site, I am hoping to cure my "black thumbs of death" (on the plus side just tell me whats a weed and I touch it and and it dies!)

I decided after owning my home since July 2004 that this year I wanted to start a garden (Veggie) so I thought alright I am going to be smart, "I am so bad with plants, and so new I am going to try one of each and see what lives in my yard" well I trotted off to the store and bought a tray with the clear lid with the individual containers to start seeds in. I bought the seeds: watermelon, yellow squash, zuchini, beefsteak tomatoes, starfire tomatoes, yellow wax beans, peas, 2 types of carrots, lettuce, green peppers, chilies, birds eye peppers, radish, brocolli, green onions, cucumbers, dill and nasturtiums. I started 2 of each plant. I followed the directions carefully and watered when it looked dry. I went away for a few days and left my boyfriend incharge of my seeds, I told him if they died he had to move out! (I was kidding!)

While away my grandmother told me how proud she was that I was going to try gardening, I have a huge dog run that I was going to rototill up (the boyfriend was going to rototill that is!) and it was fenced to keep the bunnies away, good amount of sun, and slightly raised. I thought ideal, just rototill and add some topsoil, do a soil test and ta-da!

Well my mom and grandmother decided that for my birthday they would get me one of those soft sided greenhouses you can get from Canadian Tire, its essentially a plant stand with a clear plastic cover. I was over joyed! Yay I can grow my tomatoes in there I thought.

I got home, and to my amazement my seeds were flourishing! they were getting almost too big for the clear lid over them, so I removed the lid and told my boyfriend he did good. I assembled my greenhouse, read all the directions well. My tomato plants were big enough I thought to go into a larger planter and possibly into the greenhouse, along with a few others. Well I put them in and within a few hours all my plants had collapsed, the stems were all soft and they looked so bad. I cried :( it was so sad, they had a chance while i didnt touch them!

I think there wasnt enough air circulation in the greenhouse, although i left the door open as directed.

Well I am starting again, once again trying an assortment of seeds to see what will grow. My whole family and friends are wiling to help and take some veggies if they work... but i think my black thumbs are proving to be too much..

I need some advice on how to do this whole vegetable garden thing, how to grow tomatoes (I can eat tomatoes until I have canker sores! Cukes too!)

Should i just not bother with the greenhouse thing or does it have a purpose?

IM NEW AND NEED ALL THE HELP I CAN GET!

Colly

Comments (6)