SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jardinerowa

black thumb or just doint it all wrong in the low desert?

jardinerowa
13 years ago

Hello!

So I'm just about ready to give up. I feel like no matter how much I want to success it's not possible.

I moved to the low desert area and started all this gardening stuff in middle of June so I know the heat and sun is not on my side. I've tried to start cosmos (I thought they were idiot proof) outside twice once in poor soil and once in OK soil. The first time was in full sun but the second batch is on an east-facing wall where it gets sun till about 1:30pm. They sprout but never get true leaves.

I tried bush beans and they sprouted but they never go from there. I try to give them as much shade as possible but the only thing that works practically is 100% shade or everything fries instantly. I had eggplants that sprouted and I KNOW they love the heat but then they got a whitefly infection. I think I got rid of them but they really aren't growing that fast at all.

Also, I have gazanias in a clay pot and it just feels like I'm doing too much trying to keep them alive. they occasionally bloom now but the blooms are pathetically small and hardly visible. The leaves occasionally have bugs with black dust specks under them (aphids and their excrement?) and I've blasted them and use insecticidal soap and while I think I control them, the plants struggle.

I just want to know, is it the heat and time of year that is causing me so many problems? Or am I just a horrid gardener and/or missing a basic step in all this? I know that it's better to go into the summer with established plants but the plants I've mentioned are known to love the heat so I get the problem.

Thanks for listening to my vent everyone!

Z

P.S. Up to this point, I've just been doing container gardening.

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths