SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aftermidnight_gw

It looks like my Echinaceas made it

I was out poking around in my winter ravished garden and....drum roll please.... it looks like most of my new Echinaceas are coming back. I have lost so much due to the harsh winter we have just had, the trunk of the wisteria is alive but the rest is dead. The Akebia is a wait and see, the Leycesteria, hopefully it will come from the root. Some of the Rhodos have lost branches, Daphne o. m. although protected has a lot of blackened leaves, my evergreen Clemie has a lot of blackened leaves too but I think it's still in the land of the living and my Ayesha Hydrangea will have to come from the root if its still alive. Looks like Nandina d. is toast too.

We dipped to -4F a couple of times this winter so it's not the cold that gets these new varieties of Echinaceas, it's the wet. We usually have very wet winters, not this year.

I think in future I'll do something in the fall to protect the crowns from the downpours we usually get. Not mulch, some sort of lid/hat held a few inches above the crown. That just might work.

How did everybody else's Echinaceas fare?

Annette

Comments (2)