SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
karl_bapst_rosenut

Garden Web Rose Forum Trophy to be awarded in Vancouver

karl_bapst_rosenut
15 years ago

The Vancouver Rose Convention this year will have a World Federation of Rose Societies sanctioned rose show. The ARS sanctioned portion of it will be mostly collections. The Rose Forum trophy is for the Best Single Stemmed entry in the show. Because of this conflict between the WFRS and the ARS, the GW Rose Forum Best of Show trophy might not have been awarded.

After some discussion, I've received notice that they will award the trophy "to honor our fellow rosarians from around the world".

"The trophy will be awarded to the best one stem entry winning a class in the entire show, not just ARS classes." Vancouver will award a keeper trophy and the ARS will supply the certificate.

Sounds like a plan to me!

To you new rose growers posting here; Some years ago the GW Rose Forum, through us, collected donations and sponsored a Silver Cup for The Best of Show at ARS National Conventions.

Prior to that, the hybrid tea queen was considered best of show.

Our feeling was that the hybrid tea queen was the best hybrid tea and not the best of show. With the endorsement of the then ARS president, Dr. Tommy Cairns, we took up a collection of $1500.00 and I presented it to the ARS board at the Portland Oregon National Convention for the purpose of purchasing a Silver Cup as a perpetual Best Of Show award to be awarded at each national convention to the Best Single stem entry of any rose in the entire show. This gave anyone an opportunity to win the top award, not just those entering hybrid teas. Our intention was to make the "Rose" in American Rose Society stand for all types of roses and to take the place of honor on the winners table. It was first awarded at the San Jose, California National Convention in 2002.

Comments (3)