SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
harmonyp

I Sprayed for Aphids Today

harmonyp
13 years ago

The aphids have just become insane. I've been squishing for weeks, but I think the squishing helps them to multiply. And how does one squish aphids on all the new growth on 50 roses? Futile. I was going to try to ignore them, but when I could no longer see new stems or buds under their masses, it was time to take action. Yesterday I mixed up my little soapy water and misted all the roses. I checked the results at 5 minutes, 10 min, 16 min, 73 min, etc throughout the day. By this morning my assessment was as follows. ? Who could tell through those masses what was still alive and what was dead. There was still lots of movement. Ick. So today - I decided it was time to get serious. We all have our breaking points, and despite knowing the damage they'd do was not bad, I couldn't stand it anymore. It was time for war. So, knowing I might have some small bud casualties, I armed myself with a power nossle and placed it firmly upon the water hose. And out I went, resolute. I blasted those little suckers from here to ... well ... at least a few feet away. It felt great. And upon completion (which took a fraction of the squishing time), ahhhhh.... I can see all my stems and buds again - and not a single casualty. My decision was based upon reading through many rose forum threads. My surprise in the process was seeing how many flying bugs flew up from the roses as I sprayed them - I had no idea how many were in there that would have died had I used chemicals.

Comments (7)