SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lizziem62

a sad composting story

lizziem62
13 years ago

hi, ive been a member here for a couple of years, but mostly i lurk and dont post much. im from cold and snowy northern ontario and ive been composting since my gramma showed me as a child!

a few years ago i switched to a large open bin (i used 4 garbage pallots, with one cut in half for the front. it works really great. i had been using those black cones that our city gave away for free, but they were awkward.

i think compost is one of the best things we can do for our environment and our gardens. i was so (i dont know the word) when i learned that all those greens and browns going into the landfill get mixed with the toxins and all become toxic. so, im kinda a nut, i bring bags of compost home from dinner parties of folks who dont compost, i try to convert every one i meet (and have done VERY well)

so, whats sad about all that? its the story of my little dog teddy. we live in the city and our dogs are on a long line when they want to go outside. it was mid-spring last year. all frozen winter long i dump buckets of greens into my open bin and when it thaws in the spring i start mixing it in and adding lots of last years leaves.

it was a warm day and i went out and just dug around and mixed up all the winters stuff. it had started to decompose and was quite stinky. somehow my little dog got off his line and into the compost. i didnt think much of it except that his feet stank.

but the next few days he started acting 'off'. i really didnt know what was wrong till he had blood in his stool. i brought him to the vet and just didnt know what was wrong. i mentioned that he had gotten into ripe compost and thats when i learned the horrible thing. apparently its really high in nitrogen at that point and unless vomiting is induced immediately the dog has about a 50% chance of surviving. they had another dog who had passed away from the same thing at the vets office. teddy didnt die in pain, his systems just shut down and he passed away.

i had no idea something so wholesome and healthy and good would be poisonous like that. i just wanted to share this story for any of you who may not of known this.

Comments (17)