SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
leeave96

2 Cycle Oil Mix Questions

leeave96
16 years ago

I have read of folks using one mix for their various 2 cycle engine equipment with good results.

With the idea in mind of erroring on side of too much oil in the mix is better than too little.

I have a Stihl Trimmer that uses 50:1 mix. I have just bought a Poulan Pro Pruner that uses a 40:1 mix.

Last summer I tried 40:1 in the Stihl, but the exhaust dripped some oil from it. Not a lot, but enough to wipe-up with a finger. I changed to 50:1 and the oil on the exhaust went away.

I read that because the Poulan"s were jetted so lean that it is a good idea to use 32:1 in stead of 40:1. I trie this and thought the pruner runs great, I am getting the same slight dripping of oil.

Anyone running a more richer oil mix like I am doing above? Aside from the potential of the exhaust ports clogging a bit sooner and a bit more smoke, is the oil on the exhaust going to be a problem?

I trust the Stihl is going to be ok at 50:1, but I am a little concerned about the Poulan and want to be sure it is getting enough oil in the crankcase.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Bill

Comments (2)