SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
donnabaskets

Help me choose the perfect multi-stemmed tree/shrub please!

Donna
15 years ago

I am designing a garden for a dear friend. We are looking for a (very) small tree or shrub that we can use as a focal point along a large expanse of brick wall about 8 feet high. There is plenty of width room, but would like to keep the plant at ten feet or less in height. Four season interest would be a big plus, although it does not have to be evergreen. Also, the wall is a apricot orange brick, so that rules out any pink bloomers. I want a loose, informal habit, as opposed, to say, a stiff holly.

First possibility: cleyera (ternstromia). Has anyone ever trained this shrub into a multi-stemmed tree? If so, I would like to know how much maintenance pruning it required(s). Is it an absolutely ongoing process, continually pruning out new growth from the base and along the lower branches, or does it settle in to a tree form without an inordinate amount of pruning? I like this idea because of the orange new growth, disease resistance, and all year round good looks.

I am also considering a pomegranate, which I have absolutely no experience with. I like the idea of the red orange flowers and the interesting winter branch structure. My friend likes the idea of fruit. I have the same question about it as above, and in addition, would like to know if the fruiting varieties make a big mess or not.

I am also looking at Amelanchier (Serviceberry or Juneberry).: again, no personal experience. It sounds great: spring blooms, fruit, good fall color, nice bark. I have a feeling it would get too large, though. Any firsthand experience?

If you have any other suggestions (Cotinus, maybe?), I am definitely open.

THANKS!

Comments (8)