SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jrslick

HELP! Need help with Hoop Building Construction

Today was a bright and sunny. However my hoop building/high tunnel is dark and gloomy.

This is the problem. I could only find ten foot lengths of pipe. I have read all over the place that this is ok. I just join them together. I had all the T's and crosses to get started. I glued up the first T and let it sit while I did other stuff. I came back to put up the first rib and "POP" the T broke and the pipe shot up into the air. I thought, is this a fluke? Tried it again and the same thing happened. I have worked with PVC all my life, I know that is not the problem. I stopped, I did not want to break the expensive crosses too!

PLAN B

Went back to town and bought some couplers. I thought this might be stronger. Started to glue some up and waited. Came out and the first one went in without a hitch! Worked great! Too bad it was only one of two that worked. The rest of them the PVC pipe pulled out of the coupler and shot into the air.

What am I doing wrong? I let the glue dry. The day was warm. There was light wind. I was doing it by myself. Was this the problem? Do I need to find someone to help me?

PLAN C I cut the ten foot pieces in half and coupled them to each end. I figured the stress would be less. I tried to put one up and it popped off too!

Should I drill through the coupler and pipe and put a bolt or heavy wire through them?

Any ideas will be helpful.

Thanks!

Jay

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer