SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mikeshizensaibai

Need Help Check my PVC Hoop design

mikeshizensaibai
14 years ago

Hello, my name is Mike. I'm a farmer in western MA. Recently I've been researching and planning for a greenhouse. My organization needs to save money on this one, but we also have interest in investing in the proper materials. After some research, I've designed a hoop house that is 20'W x 48'L X 10'H. What I need to know is if my design is strong enough. So, here it is....

I am using 1 1/2" PVC which is made with titanium dioxide (commonly used for furniture) for high impact resistance as well as UV stabilizers to protect from UV ray damage.

Rebar will be sunk 2' into the ground, and I will be using black locust 2X6 for framing.

The hoops are approx 32' long. It will be put up in sections and uses coupling and/or connector fittings which will be re-enforced with "PVC cement" glue. The first length from the ground is 3.5',then coupling(directly above the coupling will be a 2x4 which stretches the length of the house...serving as a brace, and also where the plastic will attach for roll-up sides)5',coupling,5',coupling,2.5',center cross connector(or on the end it is a "T" connector). So from the 2x4 brace at just over 3.5' the next brace is the center spine (12.5' away).

It would be easy to make another PVC brace using the connectors at the connection between the two 5' lengths....the question is,....is it necessary?

Additional info: will be using wiggle wire/track and standard 6-mil plastic. End walls include 2 uprights (2x4's) which sink 2' into the ground and drilled into the PVC hoop overhead.

One more thing: This house is right at the cusp recommendation for wind braces near the front and end walls.....what do you think?

Comments (17)