SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
modelafish

Attaching Plastic to wood frame.

modelafish
11 years ago

We built an 8 x 9 ft GH last spring using 2x4s, 2x3s, and 2x2s. Used PC panels for roof to prevent snow collapse, and 6 mil plastic for sides. We get frequent wind around here, and it only took about 3-4 months before the plastic started tearing, primarily on the south side. i'll assume the plastic on that side deteriorated more quickly due to sun exposure, but it mostly tore right next to the wooden frame. This makes me question the best method of attaching the plastic to the wooden frame. After stapling to the frame, I used deck screws to attach lath sized pieces of redwood (about 1/4 in thick by 1 1/2 in) over the plastic and put a dab of latex caulking on the inside of the predrilled hole between the lath and plastic. The idea being to spread the tension. The replacement will be GH plastic, but I'd like suggestions on attachment the next time. Also, I had horizontal pieces of 2x2 between the uprights for additional strenght that the plastic was attached to. Does the plastic hold up better to winds with smaller pieces or larger pieces to let it flex? The uprights (studs?) are 2 ft apart. The north side is pretty much intact still. West side, with door, was replaced in Nov.

Comments (6)