SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
soycandle

Glass greenhouse - take it or leave it?

soycandle
18 years ago

Hi all,

I'm currently using a HF 6 X 8 greenhouse that my husband calls my "glorified tent" Okay, with a zippered, roll up door and no vents, who am I kidding? He's right. I'm starting seeds for myself and this is my first adventure with a "greenhouse." I have a light set up in the house I'm using to start seedlings and then moving them into the greenhouse. I'm heating the GH with an electric space heater, like you'd use under your desk at work in a cold office, and boy do I miss that thing at work!

Anyway, I know this glorified tent set-up isn't what I want to do even for next year, and there is a glass greenhouse that I can get for very little money if we move it to our property. The size is 12X24. Is this too big for a homeowner? I'm growing for myself and maybe some friends and family. I can't see heating a greenhouse in Northern Indiana all year long. What would you suggest I use for the foundation? The floor should be what material? Any cons to crushed gravel? The greenhouse is currently sitting on a cement block foundation. We're thinking about moving our small barn/woodshed building, maybe raising it up some and butting the greenhouse up to it so that it's a potting shed and the north wall of the greenhouse. The greenhouse itself looks old, maybe 1970's? Nobody knows for sure how old it is. I took pics today but don't know how to post them here. ANY advice on whether this greenhouse is a good idea (or not) would be helpful.

THANKS

Lynn

Comments (13)