SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tomcat25

Greenhouse Glass

Tomcat25
10 years ago

I have poked around here but really cannot find my question. Any assistance would be helpful.

I have found a reuse store that has a ton of tempered glass that has a green hue to it. It is oldcastle glass. No sign of being low-e and is very, very inexpensive. I was thinking of using this for a greenhouse...actually just some cold frames that I would leave in place.

My questions:
1) Is the green tint going to be overly harmful to the plants? It is very noticable and I don't want to do more harm than good.

2) What is a good way to mount these into wood. My plan was to just route a few lines into the wood then slide the glass into it, but was afraid that if the wood warped or twisted it would break the glass. Next was thinking that I could do a bigger groove, big enough to put some sort of rubber fillers between the glass and the wood.

3) Living here in colorado at 7500 ft, I was thinking making it double paned, but with the green tint it may block too much light.

I know that this is a bit open ended since you cannot see the glass itself but any thoughts would be appriciated.

thanks

Jim

Comment (1)