SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
paul_jpw

Troy-Bilt 'Super Bronco' Vs 'Pony' Tiller

paul-jpw
15 years ago

I'm a new member who recently purchased a TB Super Bronce tiller but after reading several of the postings, I'm wondering if I should have spent the extra $250 for a Pony. This year I will be tilling a backyard garden that is only about 40ft x 40ft of fairly hard-packed, partially grass covered ground in Virginia. In a few years I hope to be able to down-size the house and up-size the land somewhere else and have a larger garden. Times are tough for all and like most of you I'm looking at this as an investment. I tried using "reason" instead of "want" (even though my sweet wife kept telling me to get the Pony), and I figured the S-B would be sufficient. I like the idea of CRT for tiller the ground and I like their potential for clearing the tines by reversing the tiller for those rare times when they get debris wrapped around them, but I'm concerned for their potential to cause the wheels to slip when cultivating soft soil. The salesman said to just lift the handle so that the wheels have traction, but won't that defeat the cultivating process? The Pony has FRT but I'm told that it is heavy enough to dig in even when tilling hard ground.

I won't get a chance to use the new tiller until this Friday or Saturday, so I may have an opportunity to exchange it if I move up to the Pony.

I look forward to you opinions and experience.

thank you.

Comments (6)