SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rideauroselad

Transplanting & Shovel Pruning

Well, we've had a week of warm days that has thawed the ground and allowed me to get an early start on spring garden chores. I have rose orders coming from Pickering Nurseries and Rogue Valley Roses in two weeks and thought to get a jump on some of the shovel pruning.

The longer I spend in Eastern Canada, the more ruthless I'm becoming in my demands on the roses I grow. I also have a main rose bed in the front yard that has older grafted roses that are starting to decline. I suspect that dieing back to the mulch or snow line every winter prematurely ages the grafted roses I grow and it seems that after almost ten years, several have such large woody growths at the graft that they are no longer producing strong basal breaks. So I dug out several of those and put in some of the second year roses that I grow in pots. I planted a very healthy Eglantine ( Austin ) and a Vick's Caprice (HP). Both seem to be quite winter hardy here and so they are getting some prime real estate in my front rose bed.

I have a couple more to go in the front bed and also three or four in the bed on the south side of the house. On the list for shovel pruning in that bed are Graham Thomas and Abraham Darby. I've grown both these roses for three or four years now, but they just don't do well in my climate. GT winters over and grows very well, but he seems to need to get at least 5 feet tall before he blooms, produces one flush and then spends the rest of the summer throwing up long canes. Abe, at least the one I have, is a runty little thing that throws up spindly canes and then grows flowers that fall in the dirt. Too bad, because both were standout roses in my old west coast garden. I guess that is why I've tried so hard to grow them here. Many of my other Austin roses though thrive here.

I have limited space, so I must remove underperformers every year and try some new varieties after research on their breeding. Two weeks and I have some new varieties coming selected for OGR and Setigera genetics close up in their breeding in the hope that they will withstand my winters better and give me old fashioned rose blooms through my short hot summer.

Cheers,

Rideau Rose Lad, aka Rick

Comments (7)