SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
susanamc_gw

Making a cold frame from window well covers

susanamc
13 years ago

The nursery I have used for 30+ years went out of business this past year. When talking with the 80+ year old owners, they suggested I should start my own plants...it was "easy" and "very rewarding"...all I needed was a "cold frame and seeds". So, after giving this some thought, I decided I would like to try to start my own plants. I have the seeds and am now ready for a cold frame. But, all the plans I've seen are for heavy wooden framed structures which I don't want due to some physical limitations. And, the light weight ones I have seen on line are not rated very highly by people who have purchased them. (What I would really like is a greenhouse but unfortunately, I don't have the room.)

I found some really heavy duty poly carbonate window well covers at a local home supply store, and it seems they would be perfect for cold frames if I could figure out how to re-purpose them! Has anyone ever used window well covers to make a cold frame? If so, would you be willing to share your ideas as to the pros or cons of using these covers. Thanks in advance for any advice/suggestions.

Comments (2)