SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kaylah_gw

Bleu Magenta has no cane loss

kaylah
16 years ago

My Madame Hardy is grafted to rosa multiflora. Rosa multiflora comes up from below the graft. A couple years ago I never got around to cutting it off so it over-wintered. The canes were green and supple next spring. I began to read up on rosa multiflora and found a horticultural experiment where they tried to kill it at zone 2 and couldn't.

Around this time John posted the beautiful pictures of Bleu Magenta on an arch at Mottisfont. So I got one and Ghislaine de Feligonde, too, just because John hates orange flowers. Though I had this vision of a picture of them with a Montana sunset in the background.

There's absolutely no cane loss for either of them. They are both rosa multiflora crosses. They were plunked in the ground as bands with no winter protection.

It looks like a solution for the North. Even those Canadian Explorer climbers get lots of cane loss here.

One drawback to Bleu Magenta is it has no scent, but Ghislaine does.

In other climber reviews, Ash Wednesday got some cane loss but doesn't look too bad, same with Madame Plantier.

Ash Wednesday is a rosa eglanteria cross. Fact is, my rosa eglanteria hedge has to be pruned a lot, and i think it naturally does have a short life span for its canes. Being rampant in growth, it doesn't matter.

Comments (5)