SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kebc77

how do you put on a multi-season show?

kebc77
16 years ago

Hello all,

I could use some Design 101 help here. I did a search and didn't find this addressed; if I missed it and anyone is aware of older threads, if you could please point me in the right direction :)...

When planning our perennial bed, I want (of course) to have things going on in spring, summer and fall. Let's say in a little section I plant sedum, aster, and goldenrod for a fall display. Can I also plant spring and summer-flowering stuff in the same space? I guess I'm getting hung up on the spacing requirements. If "Purple Dome" asters need to be 18-24" apart for ex., can you put spring and summer-flowering stuff in between 2 asters? Or does this make everything too crowded?

Also, in some pictures I see things blooming where it looks like they have been intersperced...yarrow with blazing star or daylilies, for example. That's what I'd like to do some of, especially in our front yard, as opposed to having a clump of yarrow next to a clump of daylilies next to a clump of blazing star, etc. This is what our backyard looks like, which was my first attempt at gardening. I think it's OK, I'll change it around over time, but I'd like to start the front yard off on the right foot to begin with.

Can anyone help?

Kristen

Comments (3)