SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marciab10

What do you put in these? Show me a picture~

Marcia B
15 years ago

I have these pull outs, I don't even know what they are called.. Seemed like a good idea when we were designing.. I like the way they look~ but what should I put in them????

{{!gwi}}

Here is a picture of the rest of my kitchen

{{gwi:1537172}}

Thanks for any help!

Comments (38)

• jan_jan
    15 years ago

I just got a new magazine that had mnm's and jelly beans in them. It was so cute and added so much color.
    I couldn't do that with my 2 year old. :) I would put dry beans in one of yours cuz the brown will contrast with the white/cream and also match the wood. Pretty! I love them!

• lightlystarched
    15 years ago

I think mixed nuts in the shell would be pretty - and convenient for grabbing. Or candies with pretty wrappers.

• Related Discussions

Would you care to show me a picture of

Q

Comments (5)
    Thanks! That photo helped a lot. I wish they would have shown the underside of the "pod" or whatever they call that casing that the seeds are held in. The tops seem to dry out before the underside. I have some that look dry on top, but the undersides are still green. Do the undersides turn brown too before harvest? Thanks Remy!
    ...See More

Could you show me your pictures of your corain Cove Backsplash?

Q

Comments (4)
    Thanks Geekette! that was a picture I was looking for! Just wanted to get the idea. We have a very traditional house (1920's farmhouse, with wainscotting in the bathroom) and I didn't want a look that would be too contemporary. I think the cove would be okay, right? Thanks Tom999 and flyleft--its good to hear something positive about the Corian. Makes me feel more confident in our decision. Now I just have to price it!!
    ...See More

Show me pic of your pedestal tub and where you put shampoo???

Q

Comments (9)
    >I have another full bath on the main floor with a wooden pedestal tub... That's a beautiful tub. It's also the most dangerous-looking thing I've ever seen in a bathroom. A two-step loose stool with no handrail, with a very high step over the side of the tub and down to the bottom of the tub, which appears to be quite a bit lower than the top step where you are standing. That is always a very awkward action. Then repeat in reverse with wet (slippery) feet. If there are two guests, then the second guest to bathe has to negotiate a wet, slippery, loose stool with no handrail....Hopefully no guest will want to bathe after having wine at dinner. Or be elderly. Or have any stability or balance problems. This tub looks like a serious injury and a lawsuit waiting to happen. But it sure is pretty. 8^) bws
    ...See More

Can you show me a picture of your stainless appliances?

Q

Comments (25)
    I had this debate too last year and I went with stainless. I can't speak for everyone but I find they are a total pain to keep clean and finger print proof. My fridge is not from the same company as my stove and dishwasher and it is "Frigidaire" and the nice thing about it is there is a finish on the stainless steel that prevents fingerprints etc etc. Just thought I would recommend you to check it out. My fridge always looks amazing...my dishwasher and stove without this finish never look that great. I miss my old white set to be honest it was nice and bright and always very clean looking...(live and learn). Cheers. Haley
    ...See More
  • try_hard
    15 years ago

I suppose you could put onions or potatoes in them?

try_hard

• crazyhouse6
    15 years ago

I've seen them with pasta noodles.

Glorious kitchen!

• krissd
    15 years ago

Split peas, lentils, any interesting dried item look good. I love the idea of changing candies according to the season.

• krissd
    15 years ago

By the way - your kitchen is gorgeous!

• Marcia B
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for all the great ideas~ I really like the m & m's and jellybeans, but it would cost a forturne I'd need like 25 lbs to fill them! I think alot of those kinds of cabinets have a front display in them, mine are 16 inches wide,10 inches tall(but the glass stops a 8inches) and 8 inches deep! I'm not sure how to figure volumne

I'm thinking the dried beans might work..

• chloe_s_mom
    15 years ago

what about decorative paper lining the glass, and then fill with whatever you want.........?

• busybee3
    15 years ago

a gorgeous stockpot??? pretty stoneware stacks???

• gglks
    15 years ago

i can't open your picture for some reason. i love the dried beans......i use split peas a lot for their color. i like them in my hurricane vases or candles holders. they are kind of rustic/country so that might not be your style.

i also like chloe s mom's idea. you could add some really pretty prints or colors that way. it would be easy enough to give it a try and you could always take the paper out if you didn't like it........

• michellemarie
    15 years ago

I would order fake vegetables to put in there. Then you don't have to worry about fruit flies. I was going to order those, but I didn't. Now seeing you kitchen I wish I would have. Do you mind if I ask how tall your uppers are?
    I LOVE your kitchen. Mine will be like yours, but with the perimeter cherry and the island cream. My range hood is really close to yours too.

• PRO
    puertasdesign
    15 years ago

Sign shops have a film they use for lettering that makes glass look like it's frosted. You could put that on the back of the glass and then put anything in there...

But Candy would be lots more fun!

How about building some sort of panel so you could fill something 1" deep? and then fill the rest with whatever?

Or better yet, how about a picture of candy? :-)

• bwaibel
    15 years ago

If you don't want a false front, maybe you could fill glass cylinder vases with some of the ideas and line them up.

glass cylinder vase

-Bryn

• bwaibel
    15 years ago

Also, to figure the volume, multiply the 3 didmensions:

8x10x16=1280 cubic inches

Then you can do conversions with google by typing "1280 cu in in cups" which tells you you need 88.7 cups, or 709 oz. to fill the drawer completely.

1280 cu in in cups

• debsan
    15 years ago

Do your drawers have the double walled false glass in the front, or single glass? If they don't have the double-glass fronts, I'd favor the convincingly beautiful fake vegetable or the nuts in the shell idea. If they have false-fronts, I'd consider one of those other idea and put whatever behind them.

• bwaibel
    15 years ago

Is that a dining room table in front of it? It might be a good place for linens too. Cloth napkins and table cloths could look pretty good in there.

• lesmis
    15 years ago

Unpopped popcorn...it's cheap but it would take a lot of it! And it would complement the golden tones of your beautiful kitchen :)

• lesmis
    15 years ago

I just did a google search and found a couple more good suggestions. Wine corks (start drinking heavily!), red chillies, bottle caps, sand, dried flowers, dried herbs. If you do a google search at various cabinet companies I'm sure you'll find more ideas.

Good luck! :)

• phaze
    15 years ago

You could put a clear Acrylic box next to the glass filled with your choice (it would save some money) and then use the back of the drawer to store other items. I'm not sure the size of your glass but here is a box I found.

Here is a link that might be useful: Clear Acrylic Cereal Box

• growlery
    15 years ago

I wouldn't put any grain or bean or dried flower in there -- meal moths, weevils etc. Unless you're prepared to replace the display every couple of months.

Something like the corks would work. Or something like glass balls or metal objects or seashells (if it doesn't get too heavy: maybe just a layer then fill the back of the compartment with foam. Lay the drawer on its face to get them to the front, and cover the foam with a piece of paper or fabric.)

Good luck!

• cmporter
    15 years ago

Hi,

I LOVE your kitchen and agree with several of the posters...if you are looking for a more "natural look" and keeping with the brown tones, dried beans or nuts in the shell would look great, but I also like the idea of adding a punch of color with candy. Good luck. By the way, would you be willing to share your backsplash details? Our reno is almost complete and I have been pouring over tile boards this week, but can't seem to find exactly what I'm looking for...until I saw your picture! Thanks.

• PRO
    puertasdesign
    15 years ago

Coffee Beans!

I just got back from my daily Peet's run...

• Marcia B
    Original Author
    15 years ago

all you guys have great ideas! I was liking the beans.. but now am worried about bugs! I like the coffee beans and the color would be great..and it would probably smell so good..

I really like the cork idea too! I love wine! it might take a while.. but I think I'm going to start saving!

I'm going out shopping now.. hopefully I'll come home with something..

Thanks too for all the nice comments about my kitchen.. comporter: re backsplash.. its mostly 4x4 travertine, with 1x1 stone and glass tiles 1x2 strips, and copper pieces. We purchased all the tiles from the Tile Store, they have locations throughout the midwest.

heres another pic of the backsplash just behind the stove
    {{gwi:1596268}}

• sombreuil_mongrel
    15 years ago

Kittens; everybody loves kittens! They're so cute!!
    Or cans of campbells tomato soup, like andy warhol.
    Either one is ok w/me
    Casey

• scootermom
    15 years ago

Kittens are perfect!

Or -- unmatched socks. The kids can sort and roll them while you cook dinner.

Seriously, I agree that beans could be a problem w/ bugs, etc., but if you decide to use the acrylic cereal box idea w/ beans, I would mix the beans -- I just bought some of that 15-bean soup mix for my preschoolers to sort. It was such a pretty mix of beans and lentils, and the colors were perfect for your kitchen.

I would be tempted to put something cute in the front and then something practical behind it.

• remodelfla
    15 years ago

Seasonal things? I'm very wary of bugs since I'm in So. FL.

Summer.... Hmmm... I"m trying to think of a way you could do one of those colored sand patterns without actually dumping sand in your drawers but I'm blank here.
    Fall... silk colorful leaves/fake pine cones
    Winter holidays... Christmas balls
    Spring... silk flowers

Anytime... colorful dish clothes in tight rolls that you could lean up against each other and stack along the back... then it would be actually useful.

OH... what about those sticky things people place on windows that make it look like stained glass?

Sorry if any/all my ideas sound dumb... it's been a long week.

• Marcia B
    Original Author
    15 years ago

ok.. heres what I did.. went to hobby lobby and bought some small fake fruit.. I was thinking lemons and limes.. but got oranges and pears.. haven't put the pears in yet- but for the fun of it tried the campbell soup idea.. good thought.. {{!gwi}}{{!gwi}}

I have the oranges taped in with clear packing tape. Since the cabinets open on a slant, once I placed the soup cans in, it was tricky to close without them tumbling

I like the color of the oranges.. here are my other decorative items in the kitchen.

{{!gwi}}{{!gwi}} Boy do I love Home Works!

I did have to LOL at the kittens and socks...

I am not a very creative or crafty person, so I don't see me changing this out seasonally, maybe once a year..

I think I definately need to get a filler.. to fill these completly up with anything seems like a waste, unless you do use them for everyday items like potatoes or onions.. but I have them in my pantry. So if anyone else ever orders these I'd suggest getting the double glass.. I never thought of it!

SO what do you think of the oranges.. ok or dumb?

• plllog
    15 years ago

I like the oranges. They don't look fake in the photo. Or taped.

Could you put a piece of cushy cupboards or that foamy packing wrap stuff on the bottom to make it less slide-y? I was thinking that would be a perfect place for all those funky oils that come in pretty little bottles and get used once a year. Oh! Never mind, I see direct sunlight. That wouldn't do. I think they really were meant for onions and potatoes, but the oranges are much prettier.

• kulagal
    15 years ago

I love the oranges idea - no fuss, no bugs, colorful, and not too expensive. But I agree with P111og that that they were really meant for onions and potatoes. Let us know what you come up with.

• jenswrens
    14 years ago

which tells you you need 88.7 cups, or 709 oz. to fill the drawer completely

OMG! That's 43 pounds! Of split peas? 43 pounds of herbs? Of M&M's? No, no. It's perfect for that 40-lb bag of dogfood... :-) That's what would probably end up there if I had those in my house.

• Marcia B
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Update.. left the oranges in.. good enough, and put (fake)limes in the bottom

Too bad we don't have a dog anymore

• folkvictorian
    14 years ago

"Too bad we don't have a dog anymore" -- Are you saying he would have fit into one of the drawers?

• armomto3boys
    14 years ago

Candy corn!

Sorry, I do love candy corn, it would all get eaten, too. :D

BTW, I LOVE your kitchen. Gorgeous.

• lascatx
    14 years ago

If you decide the fruit is not as appealing as the cooler weather settles in and want to change things up, I would go to Home Depot and get some acrylic sheeting (like glass sheets but plastic) cut to fit the interior standing up and just providing a narrow space to fill. That way, when you want to fill it with jelly beans or gum drops or candy corn or real corn or beans or whatever, you won't have nearly the amount to fill. Just put something like a clear plastic shelf support behind them to hold the sheet in place and whatever you fill it with will hold it on the other side.

I've always liked those drawers, and if you get to have that much fun changing them them, I'll wish even more that I had a space for them. Enjoy!

• ccoombs1
    14 years ago

I think if you could get a set of tall clear glass jars that would fit side by side in there then you could fill them with whatever you wanted and use the rest of the drawer for more practical purposes.

• igloochic
    14 years ago

I helped a friend turn her drawers like yours in to drawers like mine (which are the same as yours but there is a dedicated pocket behind the window for the pretty stuff and then the back is open for use). Get a couple sticks of 1/4 x 1/4 square dowel and glue and and or pin nail them into the inside of your drawer as guides for a piece of plain piece of wood painted in a similar color to your cabinet faces. Slide that piece (it does not have to be perfect, the edges are hidden by the frames you have already and the paint is just so you don't see bare wood between the oranges etc...like I see the plastic in your current display). So you slide in that false back between your guides and it will sit nice and tight. Then put in your display things (I love the oranges but you might have to make them deeper if you want to use those...mine are filled with wine corks).

this leaves you the back of the drawer for easy things. We have our plastic bag storage in one and sippy cups in the other (I have the same stack) and we find them incredibly useful, and pretty!

• Marcia B
    Original Author
    14 years ago

igloochic~ GREAT idea! Sounds easy enough - am going to give it a try. Thanks!

• peytonroad
    14 years ago

I think a kitchen like that doesn't derserve fake fruit or soup cans!!!

Matches/matchboxes would be great, I have a collection and wish I had thought of that idea! I have been colecting sine I was a teenager.

You could also purchase decorative "chicken wire", the fancy kind and line it with that and not put anything in it.

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!