SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cranheim

Interesting Tool

cranheim
17 years ago

I recently became aware of a tool called "Voltage Alert" made by Fluke. It is a battery operated large pencil like tool, with an insulated tip, that can be used to sense the presence of AC voltage. If you hold the tip in close proximity of something energized with AC line voltage, the tip will light up and an alarm will sound. It can be used to check an electrical outlet or the wire plugged into it without touching a live bear wire. You can also check to see if an appliance is properly grounded with this tester. I put mine to good use when I was at a neighborÂs house to check her new microwave oven for proper grounding. That oven was fine. However, when I brought the tip of the tester within 6 inches of her wall mounted conventional electric oven, the tip lit up and the alarm sounded. A further check with a voltmeter showed there was 120v AC on the frame of the oven with respect to her stainless steel sink. The oven was working fine since it was installed 7 years ago. I called the company that installed the oven to tell them it had to be wired incorrectly. At first they said that was impossible, but when I told them I could light a 100 watt bulb by connecting a wire from the oven hinge to the center of the bulb while holding the outside threads on the kitchen sink, the began to believe me. Finally, they sent out the person who installed it 7 years ago. We pulled the oven out of the wall to see how it was connected to the three-wire 240v service. They had connected the green frame ground wire from the oven to the hot red wire instead of the white neutral wire. This connected the oven frame directly to a 120v 45-amp source. This simple test may have saved a life. If the 85-year-old widow got between the oven frame and a metal outlet cover or the kitchen sink, it would have looked like she had a heart attack.

Sears sells their version of this voltage sensor for $10.00. The Fluke one I have (Model 1 AC-A II) costs $25.00, which is also sold by Sears. I liked the Fluke one better because it has a wider test voltage range of 90 to 1000 volts, and it has a self-test feature to make sure the battery is working OK. The flat tip is also thinner, so it fits in the slot of a wall outlet with narrow openings, where the Sears version was too fat for some outlets.

Charles Ranheim

Comments (5)