SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kqcrna

Thanks, guys

kqcrna
17 years ago

Although I had composted in a bin for many years, I had never heard of trench composting until reading about it on this forum.

Last fall my husband moved a couple of hydrangea bushes from the back of our yard to a better site, leaving two giant holes. Each was about 2 ft. in diameter and 2 ft deep. I needed to fill them with something just so nobody would fall in and break a leg or some other important part. Having read about trench composting on this forum, I thought, what the heck? I filled it and mounded it up with mixed grass clippings and dry leaves. When I turned it about a month later to see what it was doing it was a disgusting, slimy mess. In January we had sustained below freezing weather, it was mostly buried in ice and snow for about a month. It went and turned a fork full of it today (it's 40 degrees today) and it's all composted. It's very wet from the snow melt, but it will be great soil for planting.

Thanks you all for the wonderful help and knowledge you have so kindly offered. I continue to learn new things here all the time.

Karen

Comment (1)