SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
genebelor

Craftsman Garage Door Opener problem

genebelor
18 years ago

Hi,

I have read existing posts about Craftsman openers. While the issue I am experiencing is similar to what was discussed, they are not the same.

I have 139.53971SRT unit that I inherited with purchase of the house last summer. The previous owner told me that the garage door (double door) was just recently replaced.

So, on 12/31/05 the door would not open, so I rushed to the nearby Sears repair center and picked up the replacement gear kit. The replacement was fairly straightforward task.

Two weeks later, 01/14/06, the door would not open again. This time I replaced both plastic gears: worm gear and the other gear. In addition, I had to adjust the up/down movements and noticed that the up/down forces are set to the max. While trying to reduce the forces, the door would door stop operating, so I left them at the max. The door and the two springs above seem to be working just fine with the door disengaged from the motor.

Last night, 01/17/06, I looked inside of the opener and found a lot of plastic shavings. That made me think that the problem is still there and I have to seek professional help :)

Did I provide enough evidence so you can identify a problem?

Thanks for your help!

Gene.

Comments (17)