SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
whiterhino_gw

Will this soil work for a raised bed vegetable garden?

11 years ago

I have three raised beds that I've built, each needing 30+ cubic feet of soil to fill. I'm currently installing a retaining wall in my backyard and would like to utilize the soil I'm removing from there in the raised beds to save on costs. This stuff has a lot of clay in it and takes a good three days to dry out after rain. It's also loaded with earthworms and roots however, so is fairly well mixed and manageable.

A local company will sell me a truck load of 70% topsoil and 30% mushroom compost for $25. Can/should I buy a load and mix it with my native clay soil to use in my beds? If so, in what ratio? Would I need to add something else for drainage concerns? [I won't have enough soil from just the retaining wall excavation to fill the beds, hence the need for an additional source of dirt]

Also of note that although I'm in 8b (it's currently in the 30-40s), our summers are brutal with 3+ months in the 90-100s with very high humidity. I was thinking the clay would help with water retention during the hot months.

Thanks for any help!

Comments (3)