SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mjnoah_gw

Raised Beds for Vegetable Garden

15 years ago

Our club is considering planting a vegetable garden and donating the food to the local food pantry. I was going to use raised beds but no more than 6 inches high as it gets very hot and dry in our area in the middle of the summer and so it might be too hard to keep them from drying out. It has been years since I did vegetables and just started growing them again last year in my own garden.

I have a few questions. How big a garden would be sufficient to donate, initially, a few hundred pounds of produce. I didn't want to start too big. We will be doing tomatoes, pepper, cukes, beans, onions to start. I want to be sure we get sufficient help in the summer to maintain the garden. We can always add on next year.

Secondly, does anyone find it easier to build the beds first and then dig and amend the soil inside the box, or till the whole area first and then place the boxes, adding more amendments on top of the tilled soil. We have heavy clay.

Lastly, how easy is it to use a raised bed without borders, just mounded soil. Does the bed decrease in size over the summer with soil running off?

Thanks.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz