SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thespirals

how to anchor pvc hoop house to sand?

thespirals
15 years ago

Hi,

I am building a pvc hoop house in my backyard. it is a lot smaller then most greenhouses because i don't have much space....there are only 2 hoops. i pretty much just pounded rebar into the ground and put the pvc on top of the rebar...but it gets really windy here and my soil is almost pure sand since i live right by the beach. i'm having problems with the pvc popping off the rebar....sometimes one or two pvc ends will pop off and start flailing around. i attached twine to the top of the house and anchored it with small metal stakes with loops on the end and put a large rock on top.....because those stakes can;t stay in the ground, it's sand! even the rebar moves around. so far the twine has worked (i'm still in process of building it so the twine is only anchoring one side, i still haven't put the plastic on the other side yet, or the door) but i'm not sure if it's going to hold when the wind gets really crazy.

any ideas?

i was also going to sew a zipper into the plastic as a "door" so it would end up being like a tent......i don't have the money to get more pvc to build a real door....or for wood....(yeah it's kind of a cheap impermanent greenhouse that i would be taking apart once a year to use the same pvc set up for shade when i camp)

hope it works!

Comments (8)