SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
keithruck

questions about (nonstandard) diy pvc hoop houses

keithruck
13 years ago

I have an area prepped (retaining wall, ground leveled, everything) that is 20x20. I was building a PVC greenhouse using connectors but we had heavy winds Friday night that took it out, so I'm going to have to rebuild something a little more stable. I'm all for a PVC hightunnel/hoop house, but my main problem is the height. From what I've read, the anchoring seems to rely on the angle of the pipe going into the ground (the pipe is trying to straighten, and therefore pushes itself into the angled anchor pipes). If I did the normal hoop structure with a 20' base, my center height would be 10' at best, and my whole intent for this greenhouse is to grow some plants that can get up to 15'.

So, does anyone have experience building hoop house greenhouses that are higher than normal per the base width, and if so, how did you anchor it? I can just use longer pipe to get the height, but then my anchor pipes are going straight down, and I'm worried that a good wind would just lift the whole thing (including the PVC anchor pipes) right out of the ground.

I welcome any ideas, suggestions, or descriptions of what you did to make your PVC hoop house greenhouse taller without making the base wider!!

Best,

Keith

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville