SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nancyinvirginia_gw

hoop house design questions

12 years ago

Hello everyone,

What a great forum; I've learned so much. And I still a have questions...

We're building a 12'x 30' hoop house, intended for fall-winter-spring production to feed our family (it will be shaded by deciduous trees in the summer, and we get our produce from a CSA then). We're in central Virginia, with, generally, a mild winter, a late fall, an early spring, a hot, humid summer. Our questions...

1. Ventilation: is it worth it to install an exhaust fan at one end and a motorized vent at the other, or would it be sufficient to have a large awning window above the door at each end with an automatic (solar) opener (for those warm days when we forget to prop the doors open)? Should the vent be hinged at the bottom (better ventilation but chance of rain entering) or top?

2. Securing plastic: do we need to install a base board and roll-up sides, or could we bury the plastic in winter, assuming that opening each end's double doors and vents will provide sufficient ventilation? In fall and spring, would rolling the sides up and down be a daily task (making that vent fan seem worth the cost)?

3. Insulation: We're planning on one layer of plastic. Would two layers (with no inflation) be an improvement? Would two layers with a Magni Clear pool cover (yes, I've been combing this forum!) between them be worth the money?

Thanks for any advice you can give us!

Nancy

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Ngrained Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Custom Woodworking, Décor, and More in Franklin County