SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jenniferleigh_gw

Electic heater for Hoop house in New England in the Winter...

jenniferleigh
15 years ago

Hi I'm hoping that someone out there can help me out with heating my 18 x 22 conduit/pvc hoop house. I've covered it with 2 layers of 6mil. All the sides are tucked down/sealed to the ground with bricks/concrete blocks. It's quite air tight I think. The front/back are framed with 2x4's and also 2 ply 6mil. I want to be able to keep the inside temp. as low as 60 F - to high 80??? I'm going to be using electric heat since I'm most comfortable with it. But I'm not sure the BTU needed. A few online calculators seemed to indicate about 60,000. Could that be right? It seems so much. Does the plug have to be 220V-Is that the type of plug a dryer might use??? This is my first and hopefully not my last year with a hoop house. So it's kinda experimental and I don't have a lot of money to spend but I want it to be as successful as can be.

Also, I've heard a lot about insulating... I'm thinking of bubble wrapping the outside, up and over the hoops?? OR inside? Also, what about the thermal type reflective insulation? Also, last but not least, I have a 15 ft diameter pool in this green house. Can this help?

Thank you all for any and all feedback ! :)

Jenn

Comments (23)

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor