SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jerome_gw

Fertilizing with....Lawn Fertilizer??!!!

jerome
13 years ago

I was at a dear friend's house today for lunch, and my jaw dropped at his roses (moderns...Hybrid Teas in a cutting garden of sorts). The stems on the new growth were pinky thick with huge fat buds, and the bushes looked more like well established Tea roses, they were huge and bushy. I turned green with envy, and as we turned a bend, sidled up to the head gardener and asked "What do you fertilize these things with?!" I was expecting to hear about their compost

procedures, imported Llama manure, fish emulsion etc.... and he said, "I put two handfuls of Turf Builder on 'em after I prune." Humph....and harumph. Well those plants looked good.

I wouldn't do that often, and will continue doing the alfalfa, manure, mulch etc....but have any of you ever tried such a thing? By the way, in this garden's defense: they do mulch and put compost on the soil as well, it's a very

high-end garden...but Turf Builder? What think you guys?

Jerome

Comments (40)

• segask
    13 years ago

lawn fertilizers are usually mostly nitrogen. I can't remember the name of the thread or the forum member, but someone here got a personally guided tour of the Portland, Ore. Rose Garden and they were told by the tour guide that the roses there are only fertilized with nitrogen.

Also, I've read newspaper articles on rose planting/fertilizing written by Dick Streeper, a local master rosarian here in San Diego, CA. In his planting guides he always says the time to give a rose phosphorus and potassium is in the bottom of the planting hole. He says that unlike nitrogen, P and K move very slowly through the soil and when you sprinkle them on the soil surface all you're doing is feeding the weeds.

• jumbojimmy
    13 years ago

Maybe it's because they grow hybrid teas and floribundas. Those kind of roses flower abundantly here in my country, whereas the David Austin roses are kind of slow to repeat flowering.

• Related Discussions

Organic Fertilizers vs. Chemical Fertilizers

Q

Comments (82)
    I think the message as it applies here is that we shouldn't be afraid of using synthetics in lawn care just because they contain chemicals. Just because something has an "ingredient" with a funny looking name that may be hard to pronounce doesn't mean that it's necessarily bad or wouldn't be produced naturally. For example, organic fertilizers can cause chemical run off just like synthetic fertilizers. Somewhat off topic, someone asked me what I was feeding my dog because her fur was so shiny and smooth. This person couldn't believe when I told her that I feed her bagged, dry dog food from the pet store. "All those chemicals and artificial ingredients! It's just not natural!" This person fed her dog a raw diet, and I guess she was assuming that plopping a round of filet mignon into the food bowl was somehow more natural than dog food. To me, that's just as unnatural. (Her dog was also suffering from conditions that may or may not have been related to diet, including terrible fur quality and weak bone issues...) Giving a dog a T-bone is as unnatural as dropping countless pounds of soy meal in a lawn to feed it., just as broadcasting Scotts Lawnfood is equally unnatural to feeding your dog dry kibble. There is nothing natural about a lawn (or farming or gardening, for that matter). There was an entire hoopla about this years ago, which is why the word "organic" is used where "natural" used to be. Lawns do not exist in nature without human intervention. Stop mowing, feeding and weeding the lawn for a single season and you will see my point. In nature, success would be a single seed out of thousands germinating and surviving log enough to produce more seed. In the man made lawn, success is typically 85-90% germination at a minimum, with the constant upkeep to ensure proper care for many years, and the prevention of any grass plants from producing seed. At any rate, I was going for a lighthearted post with that image and not something of serious analysis.
    ...See More

Are water soluble fertilizers same as foliar fertilizers?

Q

Comments (18)
    water soluble just means that the fertilizer dissolves in water, by no means it indicates it's exclusively for foliar feeding. generally, water soluble fertilizers are typically fed to plant roots.. but they can also be used to foliar feed as well (ie something marketed as a foliage fertilizer in a spray bottle).. i just don't think it's effective at all, especially things like fish emulsion (organic matter) which is typically not fully broken down (decomposed) so it's best to use something like fish emulsion in the soil as it breaks down over time and then become available to the plant to absorb via their roots. some people swear by foliage feeding, but the way i see it is when i am hungry i don't smear the food over my skin ;) perhaps you should do an experiment. have two plants, feed one plant the water soluble fertilizer in the soil and the other on foliage. wait a month or two and observe results..
    ...See More

How self-fertile are self-fertile muscadines and kiwis?

Q

Comments (9)
    You don't say what variety of muscadine. You should get some grapes the 3rd year and close to a normal crop the 4th year. Some varieties are more productive and some do better in one climate than another. After 4 or 5 years, you should be disappointed with 50 pounds on a muscadine and pleased with 80. I've heard of an Ison (Ison variety) vine producing 200 pounds in Louisiana.
    ...See More

Fertilize no fertilize during blooming

Q

Comments (7)
    Strictly speaking it depends on if mineral content of soil is currently adequate. However if you think the product you have been using has been a good match then continue on the schedule presented on the product label, regardless of whether the plant is in flower or not. One other factor: if this is an indoor specimen generally fertilization of tropical plants is a summer (growing season) activity, that is dropped during the winter. However the flowering of this example could be taken to indicate it thinks it's time to get started.
    ...See More
  • buford
    13 years ago

It's fertilizer, it makes plants grow. It probably will not do much for the soil, but like Miracle Gro, it does what it says it does.

• michaelg
    13 years ago

If the soil has clay content, nitrogen may be the only nutrient needed regularly, but you need a soil test to understand what is needed. I don't like the recommendation of "two handfuls." How much is that and how many square feet is it applied to? The fast nitrogen in lawn fertilizer can burn plants if you use too much.

You can safely apply one TB per square yard of 35% N fertilizer if you haven't applied much other N lately. It is mostly fast-acting N which doesn't last long (4-6 weeks). I use it sometimes.

• floridarosez9 Morgan
    13 years ago

My sandy soil is chronically nitrogen deficient. I use tons of organics, but in the spring I always have to add a fertilizer high in nitrogen, and I use plain old lawn fertilizer. It's amazing to watch how quickly everything greens up. And, yes, it is very easy to burn things with it so be very careful how you apply it.

• rosefolly
    13 years ago

In our Bay Area clay soils, sometimes nitrogen is the only nutrient needed. I could not speak for your soils. No doubt they are quite different. Our clays are naturally fertile. This area was once known as the Valley of Heart's Delight, a name I like prefer to Silicon Valley.

Actually alfalfa is approximately NPK 321, so it is mostly nitrogen. Many years (such as this one), it is the only fertilizer I use, other than some sulfur on plants that are unhappy with our high pH. The nitrogen in alfalfa is a slow release nitrogen, which I believe to be better. All this assumes that you are adding organic matter to feed the soil. I know gardeners with our clay soils who only add organic matter, and have healthy ornamental gardens. I don't know how many roses they grow. I suspect their gardens are primarily a mix of natives and Mediterranean plants.

• harborrose_pnw
    13 years ago

Jerome, I think that it takes awhile for the organics to break down into usable nitrate for the roses, so a dose of fast acting nitrate in the beginning of spring helps jumpstart the growth. Or at least that's the conclusion I've come to, esp important for me up here in the PNW where the soils warm up so slowly.

I'm trying a dose of calcium nitrate at the beginning of the season along with the organics to see if that helps the growth process. It's 15-0-0 which I'm using at half strength. I don't want too many more aphids than I'll already have. Kind of a balancing act between helping growth start faster and not attracting bugs through forcing growth.

Your soils are probably warm so maybe this is of no use to you. But anyway, fwiw.

• professorroush
    13 years ago

Nothing that won't work about lawn fertilizer, but yes, watch out for the burn. Basically, if you have a soil test, most soils have plenty of phosphorus and potassium, particularly here in the MidWest, and all they need is nitrogen, so if you're going artificial, Lawn Fertilizer (30-0-1 or something like that) is the most convenient source.

If you're trying to go organic, though, stay away...it's very tough on the soil fauna. I've gone both ways, but I'm back to using manure and alfalfa pellets on the OGR's...I think they grow with better vigor that way and I'm not looking for quick bloom! If I grew more hybrid teas however.....

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Musings blog

• Embothrium
    13 years ago

In every instance of fertilization there is a specific need being met with just the right nutrient source or you are wasting time and money. Alfalfa pellets etc. can just as easily be unsuitable for a particular soil as a 30% nitrogen fertilizer.

Any nutrient can be over-applied, with destructive results. Many common products have fairly generous amounts of phosphorus in them, once too much of this is built up in a soil that soil has to be dug out and replaced to get rid of it - phosphorus leaches very slowly.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    13 years ago

I use it when a plant really needs a quick boost. Not often, but when one does--it works. Here the soil has plenty of everything except N.

• melissa_thefarm
    13 years ago

I don't fertilize anyway, just apply mulch and patience, then wait and see what happens. It's an experiment. I think our clay is fertile, too, once it gets enough organic matter added to it. It seems to be about neutral as to ph. My roses look good sometimes, but not as fabulous as I see in some folks' photos; but I know the ground still needs vast amounts of amendment. However, whatever's there is healthy, above the ground and below. Sometimes I think I grow roses merely as an incentive to improve the soil, rather than the other way around.
    Melissa

• jerome
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hoovb, that's interesting about the soil and nitrogen...because you are "just down the road a piece" from me. Melissa, that dovetails with what you are saying. My soil is clay too, and I usually just do compost, manure, alfalfa meal, alfalfa hay...whatever I have time for given the year. The roses here look good (to my eye anyway, and a parent is indulgent) except usually from December to February, just before they're pruned. What's very interesting is to see how much the soil has improved in the beds I started working in '04. A beautiful thing, nature.

I also like clay soil overall, and roses seem to do well in it if I keep amending. Also - I don't have to water as much and that's a good thing. The teas are much less water demanding than some of the modern varieties, and after transplanting a 6 year old Mme. Lombard this December, they put scary deep roots into the clay. Frater Basil and I broke our backs trying to get that plant moved! Sorry I'm blathering. Thanks all for these great replies.

• peachiekean
    13 years ago

Jerome, you are in good company.

• jumbojimmy
    13 years ago

Since we are discussing fertilisers here. Does anyone know if roses love mushroom compost? I see some yellowish mushroom/fungi growing underneath two of my rose bush, and my roses appear to be flowering. Or maybe it's just a coincidence.

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    13 years ago

Exactly how much lawn fertilizer would be safe to put around an established rose bush? As in cups or tablespoons? I would like to try it on a couple.

Regarding mushroom compost.....my roses have always loved it. At a former home, I had raised beds built 2-3 landscape timbers high. Guess I didnt know any better....but filled them with pure mushroom compost. They thrived! I now use a combination of sand, mushroom compost and bark fines and they love that too. But never had a bit of problem with the musroom compost. When I filled those beds.....I got a flatbed traier of it and brought it home steaming.....it took me awhile to load it into the beds, a month or more, but all the roses did great.

• landperson
    13 years ago

To my tiny little closed mind, the idea of putting lawn fertilizer on the roses is sort of like putting your teenagers on steroids....

Susan

• landperson
    13 years ago

To my tiny little closed mind, the idea of putting lawn fertilizer on the roses is sort of like putting your teenagers on steroids....

Susan

• poodlepup
    13 years ago

Lawn fertilizer--The crack cocaine of the plant world.
    -Using tomorrow's energy today!

• floridarosez9 Morgan
    13 years ago

Susan, you're right. When I first started putting it out, I worried about my earthworms and what it might do in a mostly organic garden. I broadcast it by hand, scattering it very lightly over the entire bed, and then water it in. So far, none of my earthworms have packed up and left, and I haven't burned anything with it. The change in the color of my plant foliage is immediate and amazing.

If I can ever get my garden to the point it's not nitrogen deficient, then of course I won't use it.

• landperson
    13 years ago

Oh wow, I'm logged in. What a concept. Anyway, I was thinking about this lawn fertilizer earlier today and thinking it would be good for a couple of potted bamboo plants, since bamboo is grass, right? Hmmm....sorry...off topic, but I got so excited when I found out I was actually logged in. If I try to log in I can't; if I don't try to log in sometimes I am....it's a puzzlement....

Susan

• jerome
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I certainly would not make a high nitrogen treatment the mainstay of my fertilizing program (I've been doing organic here for 7 years now)...but I am inclined in our nitrogen poor soil (which otherwise is very good) to do a little something a week or so after pruning. Most of the roses here look fantastic this season, but a few (Strike It Rich for one) are dreadful. Strike It Rich was a champ for 2 years, and this spring it looks horrible, and I mulched etc... I just wonder if I'd given it a little extra treat in January if it would be in better shape now. The way it is looking today, I think the whole season is gonna be a bust for that variety. Brother Cadfael looks anemic too.

• Embothrium
    13 years ago

Again, it's always what your individual soil needs and what product will meet that need. Does not matter how it is marketed as long as it has the right ingredients.

For more on fertilizer (and amendments)...

Here is a link that might be useful: Horticultural Myths

• bart_2010
    13 years ago

I'm going to have to try this, even though I'm trying to move in the organic direction as much as possible. My soil is almost devoid of nitrogen; I'm emending it drastically with organic matter,but I just gotta see if this might be of help on a temporary basis...regards, bart

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    13 years ago

It's like a cup of coffee or a candy bar. One cup or a piece of candy when you really need a quick boost can help. Too much all the time, and you burn out.

• jerome
    Original Author
    13 years ago

That's a great analogy, Hoovb! And I love coffee! :-)

• harborrose_pnw
    13 years ago

Something else I've wondered about re need for additional nitrogen in organic gardens is that as wood mulch breaks down, it consumes nitrogen.

One year in the south I used fresh ground wood chips as a mulch and didn't add any additional nitrogen. My garden really suffered that year, even though I used my regular amendments of composed horse manure and alfalfa. I learned to add some N after that to compensate for what the mulch consumed. It's made me wonder if a garden that uses wood mulch is going to run low on N constantly because as the mulch decomposes, it consumes N.

The only way I know to counter that is to add another source of N to help keep the garden from being consistently short in N. Do you think that's right?

Gean

• taoseeker
    13 years ago

Yes, that is the theory harborrose, and it is pretty well documented. However, some soils seem more affected by this than others. I have been reading and experimenting with this for years by now. I see two options, either mulch with well composted organic matter (like having a large pile of shredded bark and off cuts for a couple of years, or a more effective compost bin), or add some source of nitrogen to the mulched areas. A simple organic source nitrogen would be dried chicken pellets, and also arguably the cheapest. There's also blood meal, fish meal and products of certain legumes and seeds, but they are in my mind they are more for the soil closest to the rose?

• michaelg
    13 years ago

In a natural system such as the forest floor, you always have a layer of fresh mulch over last year's decayed mulch, with the latter supplying gradually available nitrogen.

Mixing undecayed or partly decayed sawdust, wood chips, or autumn leaves into the soil can cause a severe shortage of N. Putting a mulch on top has less effect, and it would be strongest the first year of mulching. Decayed mulch from previous years does give nitrogen back to the soil, and it might be enough to support adequate growth of shrub roses that are hardy in the climate.

• rosefolly
    13 years ago

My understanding is similar to what MichaelG says. When a wood-based mulch is first on the ground and starts to decay, it uses nitrogen in that process. However, as the decay continues, that nitrogen is released back into the soil. So long as the mulch stays on the surface and is not mixed into it, the nitrogen-binding effect is confined to the surface of the soil.

It wouldn't hurt to add some nitrogen to the ground before laying the mulch - - I use alfalfa for this purpose - - but theoretically it might be possible to reach a sort of steady state, or something close to it. After all, forests and meadows don't need to be fertilized. They sustain themselves. Now it is different when you grow a crop, because you are continually removing material, whether grains, vegetables, fruits, or flowers, so something needs to be added on a regular basis to keep things stable. I suppose that the need for fertilizer has a lot to do with whether you grow your garden like a crop or like a forest.

Must think about this some more.

Rosefolly

• michaelg
    13 years ago

Yes, that's good, RoseFolly. We are "cropping" the rose plant when we prune, cut flowers, or remove petals and leaves for sanitary reasons. For that reason, some fertilizing is usually needed. If you grow HTs in a subzero climate, cut lots of long stems, and prune the plant severely each spring, more fertilizer is needed than for hardy shrub roses.

• harborrose_pnw
    13 years ago

I like the crop and forest analogy, but aren't we "cropping" by even growing roses at all in a garden environment?

I can see that the adequate N availability would be provided by plants growing, dying and decaying in a meadow or a forest. The trees provide their own N by shedding leaves which decay, which nourish. Ditto grasses in a meadow.

But a rose is by definition a crop, isn't it, unless you're talking about a species rose that thrives in a natural environment, like rugosas on a beach or a woodsii at the edge of a forest? A crop being something planted in an artificially provided for growth zone for the planter's own purposes. In that case, I don't see the roses as being able to provide for their own needs, being such heavy feeders.

But maybe some teas could or as michaelg says, some shrub roses. By that time, though, their roots are like tree roots and the roses have become a forest??

Have to think about that. Goodness, roses are fun! I think I agree with taoseeker, though, just need to spend time, years no doubt, experimenting with mulches and methods of fertilizing to see what works best. I wish I'd started growing roses when I was 2.

• michaelg
    13 years ago

By "cropping," Rosefolly and I meant removing plant parts with their accumulated nutrients from the garden system. In some styles of ornamental gardening you remove a lot of stuff, and in other styles, not so much. The need for fertilizer varies accordingly.

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    13 years ago

I use whatever fertilizer is available. If there is some lawn fertilizer left over, it goes into the beds. Some care is required for such a potent product.

During application with a rotary spreader, some goes into the beds anyway. I'm not that neat.

Of course, this is in addition to the continuous application of ground leaves, pine needles and shredded wood mulch. It seems to work.

• wirosarian_z4b_WI
    13 years ago

Here's an older GW thread on using lawn fert. that has some interesting comments.

Here is a link that might be useful: lawn fert. discussion

• harborrose_pnw
    13 years ago

I remember that thread, wirosarian.

As I understand it, the sticky point among those who want to use synthetics and those who abhor it is the notion that synthetics kill the soil microbes and earthworms in the soil. That's one of the main points of "Teaming with Microbes." I've also read that Jeff Gillman, the author of one of those books on debunking organic gardening myths has said that one or two light applications of a synthetic will not destroy soil microbes, etc. I think Linda Chalker Scott agrees with him. Or so I read. I don't really know, but have to find out for myself.

So, Michaelg, because I'm trying to understand what you mean - then are you saying that the roses, left to themselves with nothing removed, would be able to support themselves with sufficient N through the natural death and decay of its leaves and canes, and that it's only because of pruning and removal of leaves that it doesn't?

• Terry Crawford
    13 years ago

I use 'RoseTone' exclusively as a fertilizer. Is it beneficial to give the roses a boost of lawn fertilizer first thing in the spring to get them going? And would I use the lawn fertilizer in addition to the usual feeding of RT? And how much lawn fertilizer is the recommended dosage?
    -terry

• michaelg
    13 years ago

harborrose-- Yes, that's how roses grow and bloom in the woods with no fertilizer. Of course it would help to have nutrient-retentive soil. I have a once-blooming rose on a clay bank that goes years between fertilizings.

terryjean--Rose Tone contains some fast nitrogen, I think in the form of urea from poultry manure. I wouldn't use more urea at the same time. If you follow the package directions, you are already feeding very heavily with RT, probably more than is needed. However, some organic fertilizers such as alfalfa don't contain fast N, so N can be scarce in cold soils in springtime.

• User
    13 years ago

weeds are my main fertiliser. There are millions of them on my allotment, no matter how zealously I hand weed. Well, a few years ago, I stopped carrying them off to the compost heap and tend to leave them on the soil surface. They dont even look that unsightly if you catch them before they turn into huge gallumphing monsters. Best of all, my awful sandy soil has become considerably richer, more friable with NO attention from me. Growing my plants hard also seems to eliminate the usual rush of greedy aphids. I think I may have even read that this is now a recognised technique called trash-gardening or some such term. Works for me - cheap (well, free, really) and easy.

• teeandcee
    13 years ago

Campanula, Ruth Stout did something similar.

I quote: "The secret to Ruth Stout's "No Dig/No Work" method is keeping a thick mulch of any vegetable matter that rots on vegetable and flower gardens."