SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ilovemyroses

spider mites....

ilovemyroses
12 years ago

(hope i am not posting in the wrong place on this, searched and didn't find much, so i'm asking!!)

a few roses have been looking stressed (scepter d'isle, sdlm, mme. berkeley, et al). had thought it was 'my imagination' or perhaps a bit of burn from fertilizer.

BUT, dang it! i've got spider mites. i have never had them on roses. have been searching this and other sites, talked to the rose people at the nursery, and bought some spray. my first spray. green light 'rose defense'.

cut off the infested looking growth, it seemed to originate in some lamb's ear below the roses. took all the cuttings away. sprayed heavily with 'the spray' and am investigating other options to protect the surrounding areas.

i am so sad, and concerned. i don't think it will 'total' the roses affected, yet it is so hard cutting off spring blooms before they open for their spring show...(i know you know)...learning about old fashioned buttermilk/wheat flour / water combination spray.

also introducing beneficial nematodes (although i know the sprayed area will be untouchable for awhile).

just thought i'd see what y'all know!!

just got back from tyler with 50 or so MORE roses!! and just trying to figure all this out!! (chamblee's had MANY $2 and $5 roses in the sale area...felicia, lady hillingdon, QE, MAC, and many many more great roses in fine shape...discontinued....NOT dying, just discontinued).

anyway...THOUGHTS AND ADVICE ON SPIDER MITES???? PLEASE!!!! thanks, jill

Comments (19)