SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sugi_c

Spiders or spider mites?

I'm a little embarrassed that I don't know how to tell the difference.

To my knowledge, I've never had any spider mites. But recently, it's dawning on me that I wouldn't know if I had spider mites because I basically assume that my 6.7 million spiders of all kinds are building webs everywhere, and every day I swipe them down from everywhere. It's a rare morning when I walk out and don't walk directly into some webbing somewhere.

So I've been wondering for a few weeks now, and reading up what I could about it though I still can't tell the difference; I get that leaf to leaf or all around a bud or something would be spider mites, not a spider. Good to know, but not enough.

The other evening, I was spraying neem oil on one section of my yard more a preventive measure since my neighbor was talking about the Japanese Beetles "this time of year." I'm so traumatized by the multitude of bugs in this new yard and while I'm not QUITE at the point of spraying Talstar (but am approaching rapidly), I'm willing to give anything a go if it means I don't have to SEE my next pest, or incur its wrath.

While I never noticed when I was watering the plant, I noticed this weird webbing all across the soil of one pot when I sprayed it.

And then a little further down that side of the garden, I had noticed webbing on one Aeonium rosette a few days prior but didn't give it much thought (and just reminded myself to wipe that down "later") until I found the soil webbing that looked SO STRANGE once it was sprayed with neem.

This is the Aeonium, which of course, I then had to go spray since the webbing becomes so clear for a photo upon spraying:

Now I have plenty of spider webs going from tree to tree, plant to table, roof to plant on the ground, etc. With or without a spider present there, I understand those are spider webs.

I've never seen anything like the soil webbing above, but for the Aeonium type of webbing which happens occasionally, I'd assume spider before spider mites.

Are these spider mites??

Cause, you know, yesterday being my birthday and all, that would make one great discovery. LOL

It's only across a few rosettes and the crap on it is from the tree next door that drops on everything. These two are the only plants I find any webbing on right now....

The cymbidium, I don't mind thowing out, but if this is spider mite webbing on my Aeonium, I need to treat it. But I guess I first need to ID it.

This is so unacceptable.

GK

Comments (12)