SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
honorarygoose

Considering bromeliads...dread mites/spider mites

B Oh
6 years ago

Hi,

I have a nice, brand new, clean apartment that could use a few splashes of nature around. The patio will have bird houses, eventually there will be an indoor dog, blowing some nature pics up for the walls...and I've been considering bromeliads/tillandasias, but I really hate anything creepy, crawling, flying--most insects, dragonflies are nice even though they're cannabals.

About 20 - 30 years ago I knew this family that grew impressive rose specimens on tiny swaths of land. It was obvious and impressive that they were keeping the soil rich yet keeping pests down. Their secret was a tea made of a mixture (who knows the proportions) of manure and tobacco and water---kind of a tea. Since then I've heard of gardeners just taking a bit of tobacco, mixing it with water, letting it sit in the sun and it's supposed to work.

How successful do you think the tobacco tea might be, particularly on these little air plants?

I've always wanted house plants but the soil/fungus gnats make them unbearable. I've tried the anti-surficant/water/cinnamon oil method to no positive end. Maybe success with these little plants could eventually lead to something more ambitious. Right now I'm just looking for a pop of color/nature without having my brand new apartment overtaken by Arthropoda.

Thanks so much!

Looking forward to hearing from you soon

Bunny

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County
More Discussions