SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kinglemuelswife

Suggest a rose, please?

kinglemuelswife
15 years ago

I've got this thread running in the roses forum, but it was suggested to me to try it out here and see what you folks can advise. So here goes:

I'd like a rose (climber, I guess) for this spot in the front of my home.

{{gwi:242762}}

The site faces west, and is in the back of a bed that is about 4 to 5 feet deep. This means that I won't want to be tramping through the flowers in the summer to baby a high maintenance rose. I'm not very fussy on colour, as long as it doesn't clash or blend with the red brick of the house. Fragrance would be nice, since the window is there, but isn't necessary. Once bloomers are fine and I'd prefer a double flower. I plan to train it around the window, so a tall rose would be good, but I'm open to all suggestions.

Regarding the picture, the burning bush to the right is kept to the size you see. The cedar on the left is also kept trimmed. The log stands where I want to put the rose. There is a Russian sage right by the cedar, though I don't know if it's clear in the picture, but I plan to move that soon, so it doesn't factor in.

Phew. I hope that's all the information! ;0) Someone on the other forum suggested Alba Maxima and Mme. Plantier. I just saw Alchymist in a catalogue today. Any wisdom?

Comments (15)