SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annachosaknj6b

please suggest roses for zone 6B

annachosaknj6b
8 years ago

Hello all! I just ripped out the overgrown bushes in front of my house and am planning to replace them with a rose garden. (I grew roses at my old house and miss them terribly!) I am going to put in mostly David Austin varieties; having dithered endlessly over the choices, I've narrowed them down to my list of runners-up:

Glamis Castle

Sweet Juliet

Evelyn

St. Cecilia

Jude the Obscure

Sharifa Asma

Graham Thomas

Abraham Darby

Molineux

The Shepherdess

Tamora

Non-DAs:

MAC

Paul Shirville

Possibly Peace? (Such a romantic story and I'm a sucker for history!)

Zephirine Drouhin

Zeffy and Paul Shirville are already on their way from Heirloom Roses. For the rest, I'd like to know if you have them and how they've performed for you, especially if you live in northern NJ, zone 6B. My top priorities are frequent reblooming and strong fragrance, in that order. Also, let me know if you think any of the ones I've picked are too close in color to each other. I'm planning to have ZD and GT climbing on the sides of the house, and the rest, reduced to a final list of six or seven, will surround a small fountain. I'm looking for a pastel palette there, with pleasing shades that will blend together well, yet easily distinguishable. MAC would be in the very back, trained on a pillar, but the rest would get pruned back to surround the fountain at an appropriate height; I realize they run the gamut in terms of size potential!

Thanks for any recommendations and advice! I'm so excited to finally be growing roses again. :-)

Comments (29)