SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lovemysheltie

Help with climbing roses on pillars

lovemysheltie
14 years ago

Hello folks. I am confused and would greatly appreciate your advice regarding 2 climbers I want to plant against my backyard patio pillars. My pillars are about 7 feet tall, have a gap of about 5 feet between them and support the balcony on top. (I have two more pillars at the far ends of the patio, these are the middle ones)

{{gwi:247549}}

Question 1:

I want to plant 2 climbers in front of them (bed will be dug tomorrow). I was thinking of planting them a little off to the side at an angle and training as they grow.

What angle should it be and how far off from the pillar should I go?

Question 2:

Instead of training them as pillar roses, should I instead install an arbor between the pillars and grow the roses up the arbor? What do you think would look prettier? My posts are 7 feet tall so I do have the height for a little arbor.

Question 3:

I bought a massive and fantastic Honorine de brabant from ARE for this very reason as I have heard she climbs excellently. I was thinking of Louise Odier or Reine Victoria as a partner. Good idea? I do think that the varieties I pick should be very disease resistant since they will be very noticeable constantly. I will spray with organics but don't want to plant something that is a martyr to disease. I am open to any other suggestions except white roses.

Please excuse the ugly picture, I got back from a 2 week vacation yesterday and haven't had a chance to clean up the patio after the t-storms we had.

Thanks for the advice and apologies for the length of this post :)

Comments (19)