SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rosefolly_gw

Remembering The Generous Gardener

rosefolly
13 years ago

On a previous thread discussing this rose, I mentioned that I was ordering it for my father as a Father's Day gift.

Two weeks ago my father died suddenly and completely unexpectedly in his sleep. I could go on for paragraphs telling you why he was such a wonderful person. Just briefly, he was a devoted husband to my mother, and a loving, attentive father of his six children. He was a true Renaissance man, interested in everything from space exploration to Egyptology to Tolkien's Lord of the Rings. In his professional life, he was responsible for an invention that has influenced the lives of everyone who uses modern technology.

But it is as a gardener that I mean to speak of him here. My father was an unassuming, loyal, and friendly man, and he made friends of strangers everywhere he went. Almost everyone in his rural neighborhood has a tree (or several trees) that he had given them planted in their gardens. Recently he planted a rose garden to honor my mother, who died two years ago this past November. In the past year he had become a Master Gardener, and was sharing his passion for plants through his work with that organization.

I am contacting David Austin roses to tell them to send the rose I ordered to me instead of to his address. I'm going to plant it in my own garden in memory of The Generous Gardener I knew and loved.

Rosefolly

Comments (24)