SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ameri2nal

Bad news about Merit

It is highly toxic to earthworms, honeybees, and certain species of birds including sparrows, quail, caranies and pidgeons. It is super toxic to aquatic life as well. It lingers in the ground and contaminates ground water as well.

This is horrible news to me as Merit (imidicloriprid) has been my base insectide. I have been spraying it just about 1x per week during the growing season.

I have been a little puzzled as to why I don't have many earthworms in my garden as I use copious amounts of organic fertilizers. Apparantly I've been killing them.

http://www.pesticide.org/imidacloprid.pdf

Comments (61)

• jerijen
    16 years ago

As Bob Martin has pointed out, these things are meant to kill things.
    It's worth keeping in mind that they may kill more than you wanted them to.

Jeri

• JAYK
    16 years ago

It isn't wise to base your knowledge of a pesticide on a publication from an antipesticide group. These "fact sheets" typically distort the true picture, cherry picking items from various sources without supplying context or communicating what the various studies actually concluded. While there are certainly concerns regarding use of many insecticides including imidacloprid, for a fully informed, science based source of information I would suggest peer reviewed or university based information. A few:

Extoxnet:http://extoxnet.orst.edu/pips/imidaclo.htm

Imidacloprid Environmental fate- CDPR- http://www.cdpr.ca.gov/docs/emon/pubs/fatememo/imid.pdf

Imidacloprid: Human health and ecological risk assessment- Syracuse environmental Research Assoc. - http://www.fs.fed.us/foresthealth/pesticide/pdfs/122805_Imidacloprid.pdf

Again, there are concerns with use of imidacloprid that should be carefully factored in by anyone considering its use, but it is best to base decisions on a good understanding of the actual characteristics of this insecticide.

Here is a link that might be useful: Extoxnet

• Related Discussions

Update on my Japanese maple (good news/bad news)

Q

Comments (2)
    Yea, that's kind of what I thought, and I don't really have time right now to sit down and research what his Rx is. I did move some soil away from the trunk of that one tree, and in the next couple weeks I'll "cage" the trunks just to be on the safe side in case it is varmit damage. He was really informative and a pleasure to talk to, don't mind spending money on that kind of treatment. I really would like another small red laceleaf for the particular spot the deadwood is in (it really is perfect for the design) but he suggested not planting another one there but said I could go the plant-it-in-a-decorative-pot route. I may to that and haul it in the garage over the winter. English Gardens has 50% their pottery this weekend, they've got some really nice pots (and BIG ones), so I'll see what I can come up with.
    ...See More

Bad news, maybe good news

Q

Comments (17)
    Mike, the disk. works good with 2 cement blocks after you plow. As far as just trying to disc virgin soil with grass it wont do it. You have to plow to loosen the soil. My best tool is my spring tooth drag harrow. I can run that through a few times and then till each path for planting seed with my 2 Earthways. without having to plow every year.( because my soil has been worked up every year.) But my first year was a Bugger. I have 6 growing areas this season for around 29,000 sq. ft. of tilled soil. I do not use beds but add a lot of organic matter and manures. I plant my greens tight spaced rows of 3, my beans tight rows of 2. The rest I plant convential with 18-30 inch spacing ,depending on the crop. The equipment that I have does a good job for 1-3 acres ,any more and I would go with a 8n ford or similar with a 3point. My chipper/shredder is great for making compost and also grinds soybeans and corn for chicken feed fast I can grind a 50 lb. bag of any grain or seed fast and have perfect texture, also grinds cornstalks and any other dead plant residue even chicken-manure /straw mix. Mark
    ...See More

Broke Ground today."Bad News. Bad Soil" Need Piers?!

Q

Comments (11)
    Does seem strange to me that you're the only lot with issues in a subdivision...especially based on the size of subdivision lots I'm used to (usually 1 - 3 acres). I know I had a similar issue when it was time to build. Our initial excavation showed 100% silt, which you can't build on. They wanted piles (similar to piers) drilled, but the large stones in the area drove the cost up hugely because we couldn't use a standard piling company (that works in clay soils around here). Our engineer offered us a number of options: He said we could do piles, OR we could do a slab-on-grade (no basement), or even to over-excavate the land down to a more suitable soil type and then backfill with granular material. For us, the backfilling would have been the best option since there's a lot of gravel pits in the area and we could hopefully pay someone to crush the boulders we pulled out during the excavation. Keep in mind, we took the soil sample in OURSELVES to get tested by the lab, not trusting what contractors and people who can reap the financial benefits might say. That said, our Building Inspector argued PROFUSELY that there was no silt in our area. Not a lick of silt he assured us, not on our neighbours' place 100' away, not up the hill, nowhere in the municipality. :P In the end, the soil test came back 30% silt at the house-site, and 100% silt in our back field. PHEW. We also discovered that we hit bedrock at 6' of excavation depth. Meaning we built directly on bedrock, silt be damned. (and I can assure you the neighbours have silt too...one has a slab-on-grade, the other is down-hill from us with a walk-out basement sitting on bedrock. The thing was, our building inspector was new, the old logs were crappy and it's not that common of a soil around here). So in part, we really lucked out, but there were a number of options we could have taken to alleviate the problem. I would consider a proper soil sample, and taking it to the lab yourself. The cost is cheap and worth it. Ask your engineer for ideas on what can be done, even things like wider footings. As for financing, I can understand money being tight. I went over budget, and no, didn't have this huge 20% contingency either. Some of these folks would say I shouldn't have built, but I couldn't afford to buy a home, I couldn't keep living where I was, and I built the least home I could, managing the finances carefully and cutting things out where I needed to, for later. In the end, I have a beautiful home that I can afford, for FAR less than I could have bought a much older home for. Consider doing more of the the labor yourself to save money; I ended up digging my own foundation, shoveled all the pea gravel for the basement floor, did the basement floor myself, ICFs myself, installed all the carpet, tile, hardwood, painted, plumbed, HVAC, landscaped, pulled my own electrical permit and completed it, shingled, hung doors, hung baseboards (well, still doing those a year later lol), insulated, vapor barriered, put in all the small windows, hung all the cabinetry, designed my own kitchen so I could pay less for cabinets... What I'm saying, is if you don't want to scale back on the size of the house or the finishings anymore, but need the $25k to cover the piers, maybe you guys can do a bit more work to cover the costs?? Some of that stuff isn't so hard and costs a FORTUNE! Or downgrade stuff that's easy to replace later on, like lighting or countertops :) Heck, I'm not even 30 and between me and my 60 year old parents and the odd begged help from some friends, built a 1400 sq. ft. house in 8 months, for 50% of the cost had I GC'd it. You can do this. If you want it, you'll make it work.
    ...See More

Good news, good news and bad news.

Q

Comments (8)
    One thing, I'd hope you remember--medical science has advanced by leaps and bounds since your dd was a child. I know, even with a procedure my DH had about 5 years ago, and had to have repeated this year, there was vast improvement. I'd be willing to bet that the treatment today is better and hopefully more effective than what you were told many years ago. Wishing your daughter the best. As to your other news--Fantastic, the very best to you and your children.
    ...See More
  • patricianat
    16 years ago

Merit is not far removed from what I spray my house with for fleas and without it, my poor furry babies would be a mass of fleas regardless that they get treated, since we spend so much time outside. It is spray when wearing a mask every 5-7 months to prevent fleas. It has a long shelf life after leaving the spray nozzle. It is recommended to be used every 6 months. In early spring I do it a month earlier and in winter, a month later, since we have early heat and late freeze. It works that way for me. I cannot imagine using it every week nor could my lungs.

• catsrose
    16 years ago

Jayk, I agree that one should read unbiased scientific studies. Unfortunately, 1) most people don't, 2) most studies do not include long range (100 yrts+ projections or how such chemicals will combine with other chemicals being poured into the environment. Look at the studies just done on the numbers and rising quantities of prescription drugs now in everybody's drinking water. In case you haven't noticed, we, as a species, are not very good at long range planning. Better to suffer imperfections. Again, anything that kills, kills.

• mehearty
    16 years ago

Posted by athenainwi z4b/5 WI (My Page) on Sat, Mar 15, 08 at 19:38

You don't even need to use insecticides for japanese beetles. Last year I drowned the beetles in a bucket of soapy water. It was just as effective as spraying with an insecticide and much more environmentally friendly.

You might not need to, but people with serious infestations don't have much other choice. When pulling hundreds of beetles a day doesn't even make a dent in the carnage, you begrudgingly start looking in the insecticide aisle.

• athenainwi
    16 years ago

I did have hundreds of beetles. That's why I finally bought the milky spore for the lawn. I figure since I'm probably pulling in most of the beetles in the neighborhood that if I treat my lawn, it should kill most of them too. But the insecticide sprays really did take just as long as the bucket of water method, since each set of beetles needs to be sprayed every day. I didn't see any residual effect from the insecticide that I tried.

• jerijen
    16 years ago

Merit is not far removed from what I spray my house with for fleas

*** If you're using Bayer Advantage for fleas, it IS imidicoprid.
    If all is well with your pets on that, well and good.
    BUT is is worth noting that Imidicloprid is a known trigger of seizures in "susceptible individuals."

Of course, the only way you know that your child or pet is "susceptible" is when they have that first seizure.
    Or that first cluster of seizures.

In the case of our old dog, Frodo, Orthene triggered seizures.
    It's not something you want to have to watch, trust me on this.

Jeri

• mehearty
    16 years ago

Hundreds are manageable, and I'm glad you were able to keep up on a small coloney. Some people have 10s of thousands, and unfortnately organic methods, treating lawns, soapy water, garlic spray ... etc do not work, not even for an hour. =(

On my other comp, I just noticed a pic I took of my son in the front yard. I noticed 2 trees which my neighbor & I each have. They continued the pick & bathe method (along with the assistance of neighborhood kids every day), and we eventually resorted to spray. Our tree looks a little ragged from the beetle attack, but their tree was completely brown. Truthfully, I don't even think their tree survived. When beetles are so bad that they kill, they need to be stopped.

I understand what you are saying, as you haven't experienced what a lot of us have. I just have to take exception to anyone stating that JBs can be controlled by soapy water. They absolutely cannot in infested areas.

• athenainwi
    16 years ago

Wow, I didn't know they were that bad there. Here they are pretty much only on my roses, and my tiny cherry tree. If I had hundreds in a large tree then I'd certainly start looking at insecticides. Have you tried Milky Spore? It seems like it would help reduce the population in your area but it might take a few years. I don't know how well it works myself but from what I've read it is supposed to be quite effective as a long term solution.

• barbarag_happy
    16 years ago

I've grown roses in Ohio, California, Texas and Virginia and have been active in various rose clubs along the way. In all these no-spray gardens I never had a serious problem with thrips or spider mites-- but I religiously "douche" my roses weekly with cold water with a special spray attachment. In every club the members who were continually waging war on spider mites and thrips were the same members who had intensive spray programs. I've come to believe insecticides cause more problems than they cure. I have been watching for aphids this spring-- they're here, the sparrows are out there eating them off the potted pansies & on the roses that are partway leafed out. I went out to see how many aphids remained. Couldn't find any! Go birds!

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    16 years ago

Gail, I'm surprised that you have such a flea problem. I wonder if it's because you have a lawn (if indeed you do). We have no lawns and our cat and dog have almost no fleas. When I do see them scratching I use a flea comb to get rid of the fleas. I keep a bowl of water mixed with a little dishwashing liquid and drop the fleas in that. I really believe having no tall weeds and no lawns has been the answer to the flea problem for us, and frankly lawns to me are not at all eco-friendly, and rather ludicrous, although I mean no offense by this, in Southern California, a semi-desert, water-poor environment. Sometimes choices have to be made, and for me avoiding the use of poisons is an easy choice. And no lawns means more roses and other plants that attract birds and insects. Sorry, I hope I didn't offend and I don't mean to preach; each person must make choices according to his own situation.

Regards,

Ingrid

• berndoodle
    16 years ago

Odd, how the forest service conclusions don't match the content in the report.

"In honey bees, imidacloprid at very low doses has been shown to cause mortality and adverse effects on laboratory-conditioned behavioral responses associated with feeding. However, adverse impacts of imidacloprid on foraging and colony vitality under field conditions have yet to be demonstrated." It goes on: "In fact, key studies suggest that imidacloprid may not induce the same learned avoidance behavior in honey bees that have been demonstrated in birds."

"In short, laboratory studies demonstrate that imidacloprid is acutely toxic to bees at low doses, (48-hour LD50 values ranging from 3.7 to 230.3 ng/bee) and has sub-lethal effects on behavior and the insect nervous system at even lower doses (e.g., 0.1 ng/bee)."

"Given that imidacloprid is a neurotoxic insecticide, it is no surprise that honey bees and parasitic wasps are among the most sensitive species tested."

"Fish, amphibians and aquatic algae are less sensitive to imidacloprid than certain aquatic invertebrates in terms of survival and growth. Among aquatic invertebrates, arthropods such as chironomid and mysid species are extremely sensitive to imidacloprid exposure, with observed adverse effects on survival, growth and reproductive success.

"Imidacloprid is also applied to the skin of dogs and cats to control fleas (imidacloprid and permethrin are the active ingredients in K9-Advantix® which is effective against mosquitos, fleas and ticks; imidacloprid is the active ingredient in Advantage®, which is only effective against fleas). It is of interest to note that topically applied imidacloprid spreads out in the superficial lipid layer of the skin, where it remains effective until the dog sheds that layer. Systemic absorption of imidacloprid is irrelevant to its efficacy in killing fleas. The fleas are killed upon contact with the pet dander, and donÂt need to bite the pet. Fleas exposed to dogs previously treated with imidacloprid, but whose fur had been cleansed of all active material, were not killed."

• lucillle
    16 years ago

I love Advantage, I had terrible flea problems in the past with fleas brought into the house but not any more. I would not think, however, that treated dogs would have any effect on bee populations.

• petaloid
    16 years ago

Merit is only to be used once a month. Most rose folks I know who use it say that once every six weeks is enough in their gardens.

I use it only once in spring to combat rose slugs (sawfly larvae, which otherwise would chew the leaves to lace).

We have plenty of earthworms, bees and sparrows in and around the rose beds.

• jont1
    16 years ago

I spray Merit very sparingly about once per month mainly when it is thrip season. I spray only the very tops of my rosebushes where all the new growth and flower buds are. This seems to control the insects and not harm my beneficials. One thing I do that is very important is to spray late in the evening when the bees and other beneficials are done for the day and back in their homes. The Merit dries overnight so that the benficials are not exposed to the wet insecticide and that is very important to do.
    I found out a few years ago that overuse of these insecticides kill the beneficials that kill/eat spider mites. That overuse led to a serious outbreak of spider mites in the summer to the point that I had to treat for them as well. It was a vicious circle. I am much more careful now, and have been successful now in eliminating/controlling the original pest such as thrips and not killing the good guys and ending up with the spider mite infestations.
    John

• lucillle
    16 years ago

Merit seems to kill everything that is bug/wormlike; are spider mites immune to it?

• veilchen
    16 years ago

I will confirm with mehearty that yes, they really are that bad here (JBs). I use Bayer directly on the beetles on sometimes a daily basis while they're active. You can hand pick into soapy water til the cows come home, to no effect whatsoever.

I wish it was like Karl says "a little insect damage on your plants". I could live with that, such as I do with the damage from aphids, sawfly larvae, rose chafers, etc. But with an uncontrolled JB population, all buds, flowers, and then leaves can be eaten to the point of nothing left.

And yes, I have used milky spore.

• mrskjun
    16 years ago

There are so many roses out there that stay perfectly healthy with no spray. So many beneficial insects that keep nature perking along. I sprayed the first couple of years when I started growing roses, and noticed that I didn't have butterflies or bees, so I stopped the spraying. If a rose doesn't stay clean and healthy, I just replace it with one that does. I now have butterflies, bees, ladybugs, and all manner of little critters. Also beautiful roses. Keeping them well fed and watered seems to help them take care of themselves.

• olga_6b
    16 years ago

I don't spray insecticides, but honestly Mrskjun, I doubt keeping roses well fed and watered will help them keep their leaves (am not talking even about buds) during 8 weeks of JBs infestation. At least it doesn't work for me. And yes, I do use Milky spore, many years in a row, just in case. Obviously people who say JBs can be picked into soapy water or like Karl talk about "a little insect damage on your plants" don't know what is "real" infestation. I have a big tree in a public area close to me. It is really big tree, kind of trunk so thick that you need several people to hug it. Three years in a row it was defoliated completely and last year finally died. So insects can kill the plants, even trees.
    Olga

• mike_rivers
    16 years ago

Just to repeat the message:

If you think soapy water will do the job; if you think hand-picking is adequate; if you think good rose culture will do the job; if you think milky spore is the answer, actually, if you think anything at all is the answer; then you may have japanese beetles but you don't have JAPANESE BEETLES.

• veilchen
    16 years ago

Amen, Mike.

Here we go yet again on our semi-annual thread where people without JB infestations try to advise those of us who do have infestations on how we must be doing something "wrong". My roses are very well-grown in excellent soil, plenty of sun and water, etc. If anything, the JBs are probably more attracted to lush, healthy roses than those that aren't well-cared for.

The sheer population numbers and damage caused by JBs are just so utterly horrific that I guess it must be hard for those in non-JB territory to imagine.

You might be able to select varieties for disease-resistance, but a JB will eat any rose regardless of how well-suited it is to your area.

• ceterum
    16 years ago

I used Milky spore for two years many years ago. It didnÂt help much. I might be wrong but I seem to remember that milky spore had to be applied to the lawn. However, I found JB grubs even in hanging baskets when I changed the potting soil in spring.

Last year, probably due to the drought we didn't have many JBs despite failing to use grub killers on the lawn. But yesterday, when DH dug a hole for a new rose on the north side of the property line - no lawn there and it is an area we hadn't used so far, he said that in that small area he found too many JB grubs to count. So this year we should treat that area, too.

I admit that my JB problem is far from being as bad as Olga's or Harry's whose past JB photos caused me serious nightmares. I would not dare to advise anyone not to do something just because my problem is not as serious as theirs.

Although we can get away with relatively low frequency use of Merit, we must use something against mosquitoes if we want to step aside the house at all from early spring to late fall. I would not like to be told off because we spray against mosquitoes by people living in dry climates where mosquitoes are not a serious problem.

By the way, our bees are fine. As to birds there are so many that we never have the chance to taste the fruits of the trees we planted to harvest tree ripen fruits.

I spray fungicides when I am well enough to do that. It does not effect the birds at all - they prefer to build nests among the big roses or up in the climbers. In pruning time I find more nests than I was aware of. I mention this because some think that fungicides kill birds. They don't.

Nevertheless, if you live in a happy climate where you do not have to spray anything, don't ever do that. Enjoy life without these unpleasant chores. The problem is, as I see it, that those who live in those happy climates do not have first hand experience about the effect of various treatments but rely only on various advocacy reports.

• patricianat
    16 years ago

I believe that it was Auburn University (and I know someone will correct me if I am wrong) who said your neighbors all within 20 miles would have to use Milky Spore for it to be effective against an infestation of Japanese Beetles.

• karl_bapst_rosenut
    16 years ago

"like Karl talk about "a little insect damage on your plants" don't know what is "real" infestation.

Sorry Olga but I do know what a "real" JB infestation is. I live in a rural area surrounded by soybean fields. They like soybeans about as much as they like roses.
    Driving in my area during JB season is like driving in a hail storm. Many of my roses are covered with globs of JBs.
    I choose to ignore them rather than spray toxic insecticide in a futile attempt to control them. I could kill every JB within a block of my home and still have as many when they begin appearing in the soybean fields. So, why bother?
    The personal satisfaction I get from smashing, squishing, or nuking them on my property does little to the overall population.
    And yes, my rose leaves will look like lace with no blooms. They'll look that way regardless of what steps I'd take.
    While my method doesn't kill JBs, neither does it wipe out the butterfly, bees, or predatory insect population which I can enjoy before and after they arrive. I'd rather have a 12 month haven for the good bugs and birds, than a lifeless garden as a result of eliminating 4 weeks of severe JB problems.
    Before you say anything, I realize they hang around longer in many areas. I see a few well into late summer but not enough to get excited.
    Like I said, I choose to ignore them, knowing I'll be able to enjoy my roses again after they're gone.
    Perhaps they leave me alone because I don't get all excited when I see them. Maybe they sense your disgust of them so more of them show up at your place.
    And then maybe the healthy environment in my yard discourages them.
    Whatever it is, I don't let them get my dander up!
    "Don't worry, Be Happy!"
    Spring, summer, Japanese beetles, heat, drought, fall, winter, and crap happens. Jumping up and down and complaining won't stop them, nor will spraying toxic insecticides every other day.
    Grub control products are most effective when applied just after the eggs hatch from mid August to mid September. Applied in the spring the grubs are too mature and the insecticides have little effect. Spring applied lawn insecticides for JB grub control is a waste of money.
    Milky spore takes a good 4-5 years to be really effective. It can then live in the soil for up to 20 years. You have to be patient if you apply it and not expect instant results.

• ceterum
    16 years ago

Milky spore takes a good 4-5 years to be really effective. It can then live in the soil for up to 20 years. You have to be patient if you apply it and not expect instant results.

That's why I mentioned that 1.) I applied it many years ago (probably 8 years ago); 2.) I seem to remember that it should be applied to the lawn but JBs put grubs everywhere not only in lawn area. I have no idea what the grubs eat in a weedy but otherwise barren spot but there were too many of them to kill them all.

I did find spring grub killer application effective but it is true that the best result would be to apply it twice - spring and early fall. We are just never so well organized to do 2 applications. I still prefer it to spraying although I do spray if I have to. Not much, usually late evening, and aimed at the buds only.

• lucillle
    16 years ago

I think Karl has made a good point: Spray control is a personal choice. There are so many variables, including whether the spray will even be effective, or whether on the other hand it would be like 'spraying' in the wind.

I think each of us should make an informed choice, and others should respect that choice.

• jerijen
    16 years ago

Karl, have I told you lately that I love you?
    ;-)

Jeri

• iowa_jade
    16 years ago

Thanks Karl!

Yes, many of us know about the heartbreak of "JB infestation."

We have one show at the Muddassippi Fair that our club supports a little bit later in the year during the height of JB madness. In an effort to bring some color in, many of us use bridal veil on selected goodies. It is hard to get a good seal as the little precious things are quite able to gain entry if one is sloppy about your knots with the elastic cord to hold the bridal veil in place.

In the past I tried to "go organic," but the neighbors who already think that I am LITTLE strange anyways grew fearful of me running around with my little ice cream bucket filled with zee soapy solution screaming: Die! Die!

One year I lost it and nuked everything with Sevin.

The last few years I have divided up my garden into thirds and sprayed the Sevin in one area at a time a couple of weeks apart. This seemed to give the good bugs time to migrate and not get totaly killed off. After the Fair, I don't care --- kind of.

Foghorn

• olga_6b
    16 years ago

Karl, by the way if you read my post, my first phrase was that I do NOT use any insecticides. So in a way a have the same approach as you do, just wait on them. So I don't know where did you take all this points about me being disgusted with JBs and that I don't have a healthy environment. I do :).
    Olga

• buford
    16 years ago

I think the problem is that when people hear you are spraying, they imagine a man in a space suit with a huge backpack sprayer atomizing over the entire yard. That is not the case.

When I spray fungicide, I only spray my roses and the mulch underneath them.

If I decide to use an insecticide, I only spray the insects. I try to avoid actually spraying the plants. One year we had 3 crepe myrtles infested with JBs. They partially denuded the trees. We were able to save them by spraying. One year we used traps and all it did was attract 10x the bugs to my yard and not many went in the traps. So once a week for a month I went out and sprayed as many of the M-fers as I could. At least they weren't laying eggs in my yard for next year.

Last year I had very little JB infestation. I was able to do the hand pick method. I even squished a few between my bare fingers. It was wonderful (the lack of JBs, not the squishing). I finally got to see some of my roses bloom in July.

Insecticide is a tool to be used wisely, like pruners.

• caroleintegacay
    16 years ago

I hate Japanese Beetles.

I won't use Seven on them and milky spore is useless to me as I live on a golf course and I just can't afford to cover the whole thing. Last year I suffered thru them trying to convince myself that they were just doing a midsummer pruning for me.

This year the folks at Ashdown Roses and Organic Plant Healthcare here in Charlotte are coming out with an all natural answer for JB's called Goodbye Beetles. It isn't out yet but I'll provide a link to a JB conversation on another board where Paul Zimmerman talks about the product. I plan on trying it this year.

Carole

Here is a link that might be useful: Peter Beales Rose Forum

• olga_6b
    16 years ago

I wonder what is the active ingridients in this organic Goodbuy Beetles. I hope it is not neem again, because it doesn't work.
    Olga

• Al Mitchell zone 5b (ameri2nal)
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I seem to have a horrible thrip problem. It lasts all summer long. I can get almost no clean roses without spraying for thrips. Thats why I spray the Merit. I have used conserve and it doesn't work at all for me. I was under the impression that Merit was easy on environment, but after some investigation, obviously not. Later, the JBs and corn beatles flood my area. Merit doesn't work on corn beatles, but works on JBs. I had been mixing Merit with fungicide and spraying whole plant. I know now that was wrong. Maybe I can get away with a light dusting on top of flower every 2 weeks or so. Is there a biological control or other more gentle chemical that will control thrips?

• mrskjun
    16 years ago

I apologize if anyone thought I was trying to tell them how to "run" their own garden. Mine is a personal choice, that works for me. I was just sharing it.

• jody
    16 years ago

Merit and JBs. I put the Merit in a hand held spray bottle (cosmetic size) and spray the buds before they open. This gets the beetles, but doesn't expose the bees since they work in the opened bloom. I have a neighbor with three thriving colonies of bees. We discussed this at some length. Otherwise I don't spray insecticides. I'm working with milky spore and praying someone will come up with a JB specific solution. We have june bugs too. They are easier in that they tend to lay eggs in the same area. We can kill grubs in that area and manage the population to some extent.

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    16 years ago

As bad as my JB problem is, I really don't spray much. I use one trigger spray bottle of Bayer with Merit per season. A little squirt for each clump of beetles. I discontinued treating my lawn last year because it didn't seem to be having any effect. Neighbors' lawns produce sufficient beetles.

Handpicking is still my primary defense for beetles. I will continue experimenting with traps, but wonder if the cyclical nature of the JB's makes this folly. This summer there will be no traps to begin, with a report to the Forum with observations.

Rose Midge seem to have me beaten. Without treatment, I get zero blooms after mid June. It's either treat the soil or give up growing roses.

• zack_lau z6 CT ARS Consulting Rosarian
    16 years ago

We have plenty of birds, earthworms, and bees. Northern Cardinals nest in our yard. I've spread granular Merit on the ground for JB and midge control. Last year I started using Merit/Cyfluthrin granules on the ground for midge control. I also started spraying BT for caterpillers last year, adding it to the regular fungicide spray, but only after seeing them make their annual appearance on the cherry tree.

• julie22
    16 years ago

I will basically use Neem Oil for both insects and fungus. However, I really don't spray for insects.

As far as Japanese Beetles, I use milky spore in the lawn, but if there are to many JBs to handle with soapy water and a jar, You can always cover the roses you want to keep with a netting. There's just no way to get rid of JBs. Even if you and your neighbors treat with milky spore, they still come from open areas as much as a half mile away. I would love to eradicate those little monsters but not as the cost of my other lovely insects and worms.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    16 years ago

Merit seems to kill everything that is bug/wormlike; are spider mites immune to it?

Merit is an insecticide. We often forget that spider mites are not insects, they are arachnids. So you need a miticide for them, not an insecticide.

Here is a link that might be useful: A lot about Spider Mites

• lucillle
    16 years ago

Worms are not insects. Merit reportedly kills worms. So I am asking if Merit also kills mites.

• petaloid
    16 years ago

No, lucille, Merit does not kill spider mites.

• mike_rivers
    16 years ago

Lucille, imidacloprid by itself actually seems to stimulate spider mite reproduction. For that reason, imidacloprid is usually sold as a mixture with cyfluthrin, which is both an insecticide and a miticide. The Bayer Advanced Garden insecticides are mostly formulated this way.

• lucillle
    16 years ago

Thanks, I did not realize that.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    16 years ago

Belatedly, I've realized that I thought it was Gail in California who had a flea problem, and not Patricia43, who lives in humid Alabama. At any rate I felt my comments had been inappropriate and apologized to Gail in an e-mail, and then came to realize I had addressed the wrong person. Apologies to all. I'll try to keep alert and oriented from now on.

Ingrid

• hup2345
    16 years ago

This is a great thread. I really want to be pesticide free. But, for about 3 months last season I lost every bloom to rose midge. The only approach that finally worked were repeated applications of Merit.

If someone has a more friendly solution, I'm interested. But, I'm pretty sure I've tried all the conventional pesticides without success.

Ladybugs, spores, anything that will work on rose midge?

• Jeannie Cochell
    16 years ago

What a relief to read all these comments. I hate spraying chemicals due to poor lungs and that involves everything from my rose garden to cleaning house and doing laundry.

I liken Neem to salad dressing. Spray it and the aphids belly up to the salad bar. It does a pretty good job on the early spring powdery mildew, though. The birds like the increase in aphids and my cats like the increase in the bird population. Got my own little Survivor show going on, lol.

• Jean Marion (z6a Idaho)
    16 years ago

After doing some research I discovered that a product available at Lowe's contains the same chemical that is the main ingredient in Merit. It is 1/3 the cost and should work the same...

Do you think it would work the same?

Here is a link that might be useful: Bayer Advanced Garden - Tree and Shrub Insect Control

• ceterum
    16 years ago

It should. Isn't it funny that almost every fertilizer, fungicide etc. that designated for roses cost so much more?

• Molineux
    16 years ago

"If you think soapy water will do the job; if you think hand-picking is adequate; if you think good rose culture will do the job; if you think milky spore is the answer, actually, if you think anything at all is the answer; then you may have japanese beetles but you don't have JAPANESE BEETLES.

I couldn't have said it any better. I don't like spraying insecticides but when it comes to Japanese Beetles it is either spray the BAYER or resign yourself to not having any roses during the summer. Soapy water?! What a joke.

Here is a link that might be useful: Japanese Beetle feeding frenzy

• buford
    16 years ago

Decobug, I used that Bayer product (Tree and Shrub) and it did kill thrips. What I did is I mixed it up in a spray bottle and sprayed the mixture inside slighly open blooms, filling them up with the mixture. It did kill the thrips. Sometimes I'd have to reapply if more thrips went in there.

I stop spraying the bloom when it becomes more open, because then bees might be present and usually once the bloom opens, the thrips leave.

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living