SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
iamskc

Broke Ground today."Bad News. Bad Soil" Need Piers?!

iamskc
9 years ago

After waiting 10 months we broke ground this morning. Took the family out to take pics. 4 hours later got an email from builder saying they dug down 4 ft below basment level and the soil isn't good enough...

"We will have the engineer come out to take a look to verify , however it looks like we may need to pier the home. We will not know all of the final details until a pier plan is drawn up, the engineer has approved it, and my foundation contractor can bid it. There is nothing to be worried about with the structure of the home on piers, however it is a large cost. I have only had to pier a handful of homes, however the cost is usually between $12k - $25k"

We just shrunk the house 300 sq ft due to cost. It it still came in higher than our limit. We were in the process of trying to cut 40K from the bids by removing windows and exterior stone. Now this. My husband and I were nearly in tears. Has anyone encountered this and walked away from the build/lot? Do we have any options? Even if we couLD afford this huge surprise cost how does if effect the safety or look of the home? Isn't it something that could have been tested before we put 10 months of time in and 10% down? We are the last home to build in the sub-division. Hello? Just THIS lot has bad soil?? We are feeling... tricked. Would appreciate any and all insight/stories or similar experiences. We are at a loss in more ways than one.

thanks.

Comments (11)